Mac Mail - Problems Sync'ing Inbox with IMAP Hotmail

Anonymous
2013-09-24T00:01:21+00:00

I'm having a problem in syncing my hotmail e-mails through IMAP on Mail for mac.

I've followed the steps in **How to set up Mac Mail to sync your Outlook.com account**to set up my mail in Mail for mac and it seemed to work. The initial sync worked fine, but then after I tried to copy/paste a load of my old POP3 mail from the same hotmail account into the IMAP mailbox, I have started to get issues where Mac Mail never finishes sync'ing. I now have had no new email land in my inbox for 5 days !   :-(

All the folders under the inbox and all the other mail items such as sent, drafts, junk etc are synchronising but none of the new e-mails in the inbox are showing up.

Can someone please guide me as to what this issue could be and how to fix it ?   I keep occasionally getting the "error 9" messages that other people have received, but mainly I just see the 'activity monitor' sat there saying "Synchronizing with server" for hours on end and then it appears to stop.

The inbox currently has around 3.5k mails inside, but I have approx 7k I still need to *copy* into this mailbox from my old POP3 mailbox archive.

I have tried shutting down mail and deleting the .OfflineCache folder as per certain blog posts, but to no avail. I have also tried to offline/online the account as well as "enable/disable" the account from inside Mac Mail preferences.

Mac OS X v10.8.5

Mac Mail v6.6

Any help is very much appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-05T05:16:01+00:00

    Thank you for the reply, Ace_J.  But can you please explain:  why the need to create our own thread when we're all here seeking a fix for the same problem? 

    That problem:  When will Microsoft fix the IMAP connection so that emails deleted using the Mac Mail client are immediately deleted on the server?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T17:52:16+00:00

    Hi Robdstef,

    We're sorry for the delayed response.

    I understand that you wanted to know why we recommend users on this thread having the same issue to create a new thread. We suggest that you create your own thread regarding this issue for us to assist you better and escalate the issue if needed. We can facilitate our actions better and escalate issues like this if you are the owner of the thread.

    Your understanding and cooperation is much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T16:29:38+00:00

    I switched from a PC to an iMac last month.  What a mess this has created for hotmail on all my devices.  Things were fine between my PC, my iPhone and my iPad, but now YUCK.  I have not been able to find an answer nor do I know where to begin to solve the problem.  I don't know who's problem it is.  Anyway, ever since I set up Mail on the iMac with IMAP the following things happen.......not all the time but often enough to make it extremely annoying

    1.  When moving mail from one folder to another I get the following message and the message does not get moved.

    The attempt to read data from the server “imap.glbdns2.microsoft.com” failed.

    1.  When deleting mail (moving mail to trash) I get the following message and the mail stays in my inbox.

    The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: Error 9. Server error. Please try again later.

    IN ADDITION I HAVE FOUND THE FOLLOWING NUANCES

    1.  I am getting duplicate messages in my sent folder on my iMac.
    1.  Mail on my iPad and iPhone are not in sync with my iMac.  They were set up using Exchange.
    1.  I have not logged onto hotmail directly online.  I am almost afraid to do so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T18:12:11+00:00

    Accessing your account with a browser will not cause problems.

    Are you only getting two sent messages for each message sent?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T18:33:14+00:00

    Hi Ron,  Giggle, giggle.  I know accessing my account via a browser won't cause problems.  What I meant was I did not want to see what all has been saved, deleted, or duplicated on hotmail/outlook proper.

    On the Mac, my sent folder contains two copies of each email I have sent.  I have not looked at what is actually up on outlook server (via a browser).  I would imagine this duplication is being caused by some setting on my Mac.  It really isn't bothering me, I just mentioned it because it has been stated in other posts and I haven't seen a clear cut answer to solving it.

    My biggest frustrations are 1, 2, and 4.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments