Mac Mail - Problems Sync'ing Inbox with IMAP Hotmail

Anonymous
2013-09-24T00:01:21+00:00

I'm having a problem in syncing my hotmail e-mails through IMAP on Mail for mac.

I've followed the steps in **How to set up Mac Mail to sync your Outlook.com account**to set up my mail in Mail for mac and it seemed to work. The initial sync worked fine, but then after I tried to copy/paste a load of my old POP3 mail from the same hotmail account into the IMAP mailbox, I have started to get issues where Mac Mail never finishes sync'ing. I now have had no new email land in my inbox for 5 days !   :-(

All the folders under the inbox and all the other mail items such as sent, drafts, junk etc are synchronising but none of the new e-mails in the inbox are showing up.

Can someone please guide me as to what this issue could be and how to fix it ?   I keep occasionally getting the "error 9" messages that other people have received, but mainly I just see the 'activity monitor' sat there saying "Synchronizing with server" for hours on end and then it appears to stop.

The inbox currently has around 3.5k mails inside, but I have approx 7k I still need to *copy* into this mailbox from my old POP3 mailbox archive.

I have tried shutting down mail and deleting the .OfflineCache folder as per certain blog posts, but to no avail. I have also tried to offline/online the account as well as "enable/disable" the account from inside Mac Mail preferences.

Mac OS X v10.8.5

Mac Mail v6.6

Any help is very much appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-30T13:34:09+00:00

    Hi

    same here. Mac Mail will not sync with my hotmail.com-account. Is there any sollution by now?

    Cheers

    Seb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T19:46:19+00:00

    Incredibly so.  It's nonsensical at best, annoyingly inefficient at worst. 

    How about acknowledging the problem, Microsoft?  And then...come up with a fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T19:16:31+00:00

    Wow, this seems really ineffective and a waste of time and resources to create a bunch of separate threads outlining the same problem, but okay......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T18:57:38+00:00

    Hi Robdstef,

     

    We're sorry for the delayed response.

     

    I understand that you wanted to know why we recommend users on this thread having the same issue to create a new thread. We suggest that you create your own thread regarding this issue for us to assist you better and escalate the issue if needed. We can facilitate our actions better and escalate issues like this if you are the owner of the thread.

     

    Your understanding and cooperation is much appreciated.

     

    Thanks.

    I'll follow your instruction and repost the problem in a new thread.  While I do that, will you please acknowledge that Microsoft is aware of the problem (Mac Mail client using IMAP does not sync deleted items) and is working on a fix?  Can you please do that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-14T13:50:17+00:00

    It would be nice if they would acknowledge they have bugs and are fixing them.  From the looks of it, it appears these issues have been going on for a very long time.  It is very frustrating to delete an email to only have a message tell you it wasn't deleted to try again, same for moving an email to different folders.    I guess it would be easier to find, fix and solve if the problem was on every occurrence of delete and every occurrence of a move.  

    If I could set up mail on my iMac like I have it on my iPad and iPhone using EAS, I might not be having these issues, but the only way to get folders other than your inbox, you have to use imap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments