Mac Mail - Problems Sync'ing Inbox with IMAP Hotmail

Anonymous
2013-09-24T00:01:21+00:00

I'm having a problem in syncing my hotmail e-mails through IMAP on Mail for mac.

I've followed the steps in **How to set up Mac Mail to sync your Outlook.com account**to set up my mail in Mail for mac and it seemed to work. The initial sync worked fine, but then after I tried to copy/paste a load of my old POP3 mail from the same hotmail account into the IMAP mailbox, I have started to get issues where Mac Mail never finishes sync'ing. I now have had no new email land in my inbox for 5 days !   :-(

All the folders under the inbox and all the other mail items such as sent, drafts, junk etc are synchronising but none of the new e-mails in the inbox are showing up.

Can someone please guide me as to what this issue could be and how to fix it ?   I keep occasionally getting the "error 9" messages that other people have received, but mainly I just see the 'activity monitor' sat there saying "Synchronizing with server" for hours on end and then it appears to stop.

The inbox currently has around 3.5k mails inside, but I have approx 7k I still need to *copy* into this mailbox from my old POP3 mailbox archive.

I have tried shutting down mail and deleting the .OfflineCache folder as per certain blog posts, but to no avail. I have also tried to offline/online the account as well as "enable/disable" the account from inside Mac Mail preferences.

Mac OS X v10.8.5

Mac Mail v6.6

Any help is very much appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-23T13:50:58+00:00

    Same problem here. My mail won't sync correctly. It just give me the new emails but no other actions are assumed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-22T19:17:25+00:00

    I'm also having this problem, and I'm really disappointed. 

    I hope Microsoft at least provide us with some response, as the last one dates December 12 (about 40 days ago).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T19:52:09+00:00

    I am also having this problem like everyone else here that owns an apple device.

    I'm starting to think Microsoft are purposely not solving this issue because Apple is a rival company and you are punishing us of our decision to buy a Apple computer.

    Please help us or at least tell us the truth. it has taken your almost 4 months!

    Looking forward to your response

    Ant

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T09:50:15+00:00

    Hi there, 

    I'm also having this problem, quite annoying ...

    is there a solution now?

    Best regards

    Alexander

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T02:40:58+00:00

    Same here.  Annoying and the delay on Microsoft's side is making me want to abandon both of my Hotmail accounts (including one of the accounts which I pay the upgrade for each year) and move to Gmail.  MICROSOFT - let's ante up and fix the problem here.  Doesn't seem that tough.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments