Mac Mail - Problems Sync'ing Inbox with IMAP Hotmail

Anonymous
2013-09-24T00:01:21+00:00

I'm having a problem in syncing my hotmail e-mails through IMAP on Mail for mac.

I've followed the steps in **How to set up Mac Mail to sync your Outlook.com account**to set up my mail in Mail for mac and it seemed to work. The initial sync worked fine, but then after I tried to copy/paste a load of my old POP3 mail from the same hotmail account into the IMAP mailbox, I have started to get issues where Mac Mail never finishes sync'ing. I now have had no new email land in my inbox for 5 days !   :-(

All the folders under the inbox and all the other mail items such as sent, drafts, junk etc are synchronising but none of the new e-mails in the inbox are showing up.

Can someone please guide me as to what this issue could be and how to fix it ?   I keep occasionally getting the "error 9" messages that other people have received, but mainly I just see the 'activity monitor' sat there saying "Synchronizing with server" for hours on end and then it appears to stop.

The inbox currently has around 3.5k mails inside, but I have approx 7k I still need to *copy* into this mailbox from my old POP3 mailbox archive.

I have tried shutting down mail and deleting the .OfflineCache folder as per certain blog posts, but to no avail. I have also tried to offline/online the account as well as "enable/disable" the account from inside Mac Mail preferences.

Mac OS X v10.8.5

Mac Mail v6.6

Any help is very much appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T17:49:54+00:00

    I have a new iMac was am encountering the same issues posted by many others on his thread. My Hotmail account was properly setup as IMAP on Apple Mail and I am unable to delete emails as they keep reappearing i my inbox.

    Seriously I cannot believe how many people have complained about this issue without a resolution. In fact I am sure that if I do a search on the Microsoft Community Forums I will find similar topics for the exact same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-14T14:25:52+00:00

    I am having the same problem with Mac Mail; it is not synching with Outlook using imap; I have to tell Mac Mail to synch.  It was working well but just started again.  I have checked my settings and they are correct. 

    Observation:  (not sure if relevant)   When I look at the activity link in Mac Mail, it is synching with all my Outlook mail boxes including some "Pop" folders when it synchs and this may be one of the things that could stop or slow automatic synching????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-28T13:37:52+00:00

    I have spent two hours with Apple support in trying to set up my Hotmail account on my MacBook Air. It syncs some emails and folders but doesn't receive new mails. Sent mails take several minutes to send.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-22T21:06:31+00:00

    I am having bascially the same issue.

    On my ipad and iphone the sync worked out fine but on my mac it doesn't sync anthing but mails. i followed all the steps listed on the links on this thread and i had a very long call with the apple hotline.

    it is quite annoying tbh. i need to work and don't have the time to spend hours on the internet looking for solutions for such a little problem that all other email providers seem to cope with easily.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T22:31:33+00:00

    I have this issue also and can't believe that there isn't a solution to this yet.  Its a disgrace.  All settings are what they should be according to the articles linked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments