Mac Mail - Problems Sync'ing Inbox with IMAP Hotmail

Anonymous
2013-09-24T00:01:21+00:00

I'm having a problem in syncing my hotmail e-mails through IMAP on Mail for mac.

I've followed the steps in **How to set up Mac Mail to sync your Outlook.com account**to set up my mail in Mail for mac and it seemed to work. The initial sync worked fine, but then after I tried to copy/paste a load of my old POP3 mail from the same hotmail account into the IMAP mailbox, I have started to get issues where Mac Mail never finishes sync'ing. I now have had no new email land in my inbox for 5 days !   :-(

All the folders under the inbox and all the other mail items such as sent, drafts, junk etc are synchronising but none of the new e-mails in the inbox are showing up.

Can someone please guide me as to what this issue could be and how to fix it ?   I keep occasionally getting the "error 9" messages that other people have received, but mainly I just see the 'activity monitor' sat there saying "Synchronizing with server" for hours on end and then it appears to stop.

The inbox currently has around 3.5k mails inside, but I have approx 7k I still need to *copy* into this mailbox from my old POP3 mailbox archive.

I have tried shutting down mail and deleting the .OfflineCache folder as per certain blog posts, but to no avail. I have also tried to offline/online the account as well as "enable/disable" the account from inside Mac Mail preferences.

Mac OS X v10.8.5

Mac Mail v6.6

Any help is very much appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-14T07:04:39+00:00

    Hi,

    I would like to ask the following for isolation and investigation purposes:

    • Do other Outlook.com accounts encounter the same issue when trying to set up IMAP client settings your computer?
    • Can you please let me know the settings
    • Also edit the outgoing servers list and change smtp.mac.com to smtp.me.com.

    Thanks,

    Ron - Senior Support Specialist

    I am having the same problem, with email address that outlook.com hosts for me from an owned domain.  After working on various iOS and Macintoshes for several months, both Macs lost the ability to receive email on November 30/December 1.  The Macs can continue to send mail using smtp-mail.outlook.com, but those sent emails are not synching with outlook.com on the cloud.  Both iOS devices continue to receive (and send) email with no problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments