Unable to send email to group. Getting an error message about incorrect format of email address.

Anonymous
2013-09-18T14:49:13+00:00

I tried to send an email to a group.  I got an error message in red:  "Please use the following format for email addresses: . . ." but I know of no way to look at my group list and see which email is spelled wrong, missing a letter or has any other problem. I'm really frustrated since this is an important email.

Original title: Blocked from sending a group email, but can't fix it.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2016-08-11T17:15:43+00:00

    > The correct format is ******@somewhere.com and can only contain letters and

    > numbers.  SPecial characters arent allowed.

    Not true. Periods, plus signs, minuses, and underscores are all valid email address characters. I'm pretty sure Outlook.com allows those characters because my accounts contain some of them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T13:54:39+00:00

    Ever since Microsoft and Outlook did these ridiculous upgrades, my email is slow and will not allow me to send important group messages. Microsoft is no help at all and will not respond to me. I did have 2 so called Techs from some foreign country try to assist but could not figure it out. I would lose too much to try and move to a different carrier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T05:17:47+00:00

    I am suddenly having the same issue as tupperchick with sending a group e-mail.  I get and error saying that it cannot be sent right now and to try again later.  It does not give any other information about what the error is or why I am getting it.  It is very frustrating.  I have been sending to these groups for years.  This is why I hate "updates".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-29T03:33:48+00:00

    I have to do the same thing - make a manual list from the group lists and enter them individually. VERY time consuming and should be unneccesary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-07-27T19:20:18+00:00

    I have the same problem -- not sure what emails need to be corrected have to go through entire group.

    also cannot even list the group - have to make a manual list and go one by one to the contacts

    I also think Outlook may be causing the problem --by adding company name and brackets to the email

    HELP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments