Unable to send email to group. Getting an error message about incorrect format of email address.

Anonymous
2013-09-18T14:49:13+00:00

I tried to send an email to a group.  I got an error message in red:  "Please use the following format for email addresses: . . ." but I know of no way to look at my group list and see which email is spelled wrong, missing a letter or has any other problem. I'm really frustrated since this is an important email.

Original title: Blocked from sending a group email, but can't fix it.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-21T14:53:24+00:00

    Hi NonprofitGlen and OFSO,

    I have replied to your post in the private message area. Please make sure that you are signed in to this forum to view the link.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T19:23:41+00:00

    Hi,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    I realize that you are prompted an error when you are trying to send a group email.  To further investigate your concern, you may need to provide us a screenshot of the issue.   Kindly provide the above needed information on the private message that I have started. To view the private message, log in first to the Microsoft Community, go to this thread and click the "You have a private reply to this message" link above your post.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T14:00:10+00:00

    Hi misioneraquica and NonprofitGlen,

    Thank you for the additional information provided. I can understand your frustration and it's my pleasure on helping you to send emails to your groups.

    In order for us to further investigate this issue, we would like to ask how are you accessing your email account? are you using a web browser or a mail client such as Windows Live Mail? Also, we strongly suggest that you provide us the screenshot of the error message you've received. In order to get a screen shot, follow the link provided below:

    Here are the steps to upload a screenshot:

    1. On the private message, click Upload a File.
    2. Click Browse.
    3. Navigate to where the file you want to upload is saved on your computer and click Submit.

    Note: Please sign-in to this website in order to see the Private Message tab where you can attach the screenshot. We also need you to reply back to this post if you already provided the information on the private data area. This will help facilitate our actions regarding your issue.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T13:26:02+00:00

    Thank you very much for your response re this (brand new) occurrence. I wasn't able to view the email again because I've already sent it using a different program than Outlook and can't risk sending it twice to anyone.  When I did send it, Outlook didn't specify or show me any particular emails, just a list of "~.org" or even "~" sorts of examples.  (If it showed me specific emails it would help.) It's clearly a new Outlook feature, and it's very frustrating that Outlook also used to have multiple ways of doing other things they've changed without warning or ways to cope with the result.  I used to be able to bring up a specific person with their info, and have an option to sign them up for two or three or five groups at once.  I'd made it 3/4 the way through my list of contacts doing so when that option was dropped.  Now I have to open each of the groups, bring up and add that person, then close the group, bring up a different group and add the person -- which takes ten times as long (no exaggeration), and doesn't allow me to easily think about that person, weigh which groups they should be in and just uncheck them from one or two groups if I change my mind.  

    Again, both of these changes were made by Outlook without warning, or suggestion of a way to deal with the impact of the change. You also can't check the email of any group member by hovering over the their picture/name in the list (in pairs) of members of a group, or move from a group to any other list of info without leaving the group, to cite another function that would help. The whole process of groups has been screwed up -- probably by a well-meaning tech person -- and needs some actual users to have input on the various ways they have actually used it previously/need to use it.  I've mentioned a few.  I hope the above is clear enough to for you to provide some help for me (and if possible, a re-examination of the impact of some changes that have been made and the frustrating problems they've created). Thank you very much in advance for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-18T21:36:31+00:00

    It is not singling out any particular address, just the group.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments