How to delete a message that stays in the outbox after an error message while sending?

Anonymous
2011-07-12T09:22:27+00:00

I tried to send an email message but got an error because the address of one of the recipients was not correct. The message has not been sent, and next to my outbox I see the figure 1, so it's probably still in there. But when I click the outbox, I do not see any message in the messages list. And it's not blocking the sending of any new messages.

I already tried Working Offline, but this seems only to work on Windows PC's, not with Outlook 2011. What to do?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-14T03:29:48+00:00

Try this:

Open the AppleScript Editor found in /Applications/Utilities. Paste in the following three lines:

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

delete every message of outbox

end tell

Click the Run button at the top and this should delete every message in your Outbox.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-17T10:42:05+00:00

This looks strange... are you sure you have an unsent message in Outbox?

Try the following script:

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

repeat with msg from 1 to number of messages in outbox

tell message msg of outbox

set str to "Message " & msg & " with subject '" & subject & "' is in outbox"

display dialog str

end tell

end repeat

end tell


Cheers,

Filipe

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

38 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-24T18:53:53+00:00

    There is no AppleScript Editor at this location in Yosemite.

    In Yosemite the Applescript editor is:

    ..Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.app

    I have tried all of these and nothing works... I have the error: 

    Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

    Error Signature:

    Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGTRAP)

    Date/Time: 2015-03-24 18:53:05 +0000

    Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

    Application Signature: OPIM

    Application Version: 14.4.8.150116

    Crashed Module Name: merp

    Crashed Module Version: 2.2.4.150116

    Crashed Module Offset: 0x00004422

    Blame Module Name: Microsoft Outlook

    Blame Module Version: 14.4.8.150116

    Blame Module Offset: 0x003d1fcc

    Application LCID: 1033

    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

    Crashed thread: 9

    I have tried to get support but there is an error there too. There are no updates, but my outlook closes every second or so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-04T19:44:51+00:00

    Talking Moose,

    I tried this and it didn't work. Microsoft Tech Support says they will fix this for $99 but I declined for now.  Seems like a lot just to remove an errant email stuck in the Outbox.  BTW, I have two Macs and run Office for Mac on both and neither has "Send" or "Outbox" folders in Outlook. If they were shown deleting the offending message would be a snap.  Using IMAP email on both computers.

    FYI, I talked Apple Tech Support into talking me through your instructions but took responsibility if something got messed up. Nothing got messed up but the problem is still there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments