Can't save Outlook messages to file. 'Save as' is greyed out.

Anonymous
2012-02-04T10:41:40+00:00

I am using Office for mac 2011 under OS X version 10.7.2.

I cannot 'save' or' save as' Outlook email messages or attachments. PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents save normally. In Outlook "Save as" is permanently greyed out and cannot be selected. Save is not greyed out but does not react to instructions.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

I bought the software in November on line and this problem has existed for about a month.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-05T02:18:01+00:00

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Outlook 2011.

If this is a feature you’d like to see in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking “Help” > “Send Feedback…” in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

As a workaround, if you want to save the emails, you may simply drag the email from the Outlook window to the desktop or any other location. That will save the complete email itself.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-01T08:31:42+00:00

I have the same problem and concern! I find this issue unbeleivable. I moved from windows to mac to find this office issue unacceptale!

This has to be corrected at once.

How can we manage the emails we receive in order to have them properly filed?

I can not beleive tha Microsoft could be so irresponsile in such basic issue

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-15T02:30:25+00:00

    It is now July 2014 and this appears not to have been solved. I have been into the Apple's Genius Bar a couple of times and Microsoft for Mac's helpline without success. Thus the following comments.

    I find it incredulous that Microsoft could call this product Microsoft Office for Mac and then have Apple carry it on their shelves and sell it as a equivalent to Microsoft Office for PCs. Word, Powerpoint and Excel work seamlessly but Outlook is not a replacement. It does not include the save as feature that makes Microsoft Outlook for PCs what it is today; a market leader that is a user friendly interface allowing one to effectively and efficiently categorize, file and save emails for future use. The product is being marketed in a misleading manner. I would have to agree with the reader below that suggested this was irresponsible of Microsoft to produce this for Apple and then not get the marketing translated properly to the user community. What we the user community would ask is that you at least market the product in its true form, that it is a legitimate replacement for Word, Powerpoint and Excel but is not for Outlook and then we can make our decision about purchasing the product. ...And to suggest that one should save the emails to your desktop (I have had another suggestion to PDF each email) demonstrates a misunderstanding of the functionality of Outlook for PCs and why it has become the email of choice. I have to assume it is a marketing decision rather than a technical issue which prevents Microsoft Office for MAC (along with the MAC computer) competing legitimately at the scale of Microsoft Office for PCs and possibly becoming prevalent in the marketplace.

    I invite a response from a qualified Microsoft representative.  The question specifically is "Why is Microsoft not being more upfront with the product Microsoft Office for MAC and the true functionality of Outlook compared to Outlook for PCs and explaining that they are not equivalent products."

    This would immensely beneficial to the user community and our evaluation of the product when making a purchase. I will thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-15T03:22:01+00:00

    It is now July 2014 and this appears not to have been solved.

    The Save As issue?

    Save As is greyed out because it's not for messages.

    As pointed out several times in the thread, if you want to export a message, you need to drag it to the desktop or a folder in the Finder.

    Were ou referring to another issue in particular?

              Corentin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-15T04:07:27+00:00

    Hi Corentin,

    My point is still being missed. Many of us have purchased the product based up Outlook for Mac being equivalent to Outlook for PCs which is an effective and efficient way of dealing with mass emails their organization, compilation, filing and saving. Your solution does not accomplish this and therefore the product is not a legitimate replacement. Again, this is misleading and you are now contributing to this with your response. You do not appear to understand the issue. This is perpetuated through the threads in this message board. To export a message by dragging emails to one's desktop is a very clunky, inefficient and an ineffective way of organizing, compiling, filing and savings many emails day in and day out compared to Outlook for PCs which is a much more direct method.  Thus it is not a legitimate replacement for Outlook for PCs. I thank you for your attempt at responding.

    I would still like to hear a response from a qualified Microsoft representative.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments