Can't save Outlook messages to file. 'Save as' is greyed out.

Anonymous
2012-02-04T10:41:40+00:00

I am using Office for mac 2011 under OS X version 10.7.2.

I cannot 'save' or' save as' Outlook email messages or attachments. PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents save normally. In Outlook "Save as" is permanently greyed out and cannot be selected. Save is not greyed out but does not react to instructions.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

I bought the software in November on line and this problem has existed for about a month.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-05T02:18:01+00:00

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Outlook 2011.

If this is a feature you’d like to see in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking “Help” > “Send Feedback…” in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

As a workaround, if you want to save the emails, you may simply drag the email from the Outlook window to the desktop or any other location. That will save the complete email itself.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-01T08:31:42+00:00

I have the same problem and concern! I find this issue unbeleivable. I moved from windows to mac to find this office issue unacceptale!

This has to be corrected at once.

How can we manage the emails we receive in order to have them properly filed?

I can not beleive tha Microsoft could be so irresponsile in such basic issue

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-25T21:11:49+00:00

    You might find this shortcut handy. Whenever you want to save a document or other printable item to a PDF file, just press Command+P, and then Command+P again. See directions to setup here:

    Get more out of OS X's save-as-PDF feature | Macworld

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T07:50:30+00:00

    if you just click save, where is the file saved to?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-27T20:08:33+00:00

    I thought I would share my experience as it seems to be working at a certain level and may help others. After dragging and dropping a message from an Outlook folder into a folder on my desktop, it saved as a .eml file. I double clicked the message, and it opened in Apple's Mail program. After that, I could resave it using the Mail options: rtf, Plain Text, and Raw Message Source, if I wanted. I tested this with a single message and the entire contents of an Outlook folder using Select All before the drag and drop, and both options worked fine.

    The main drawback is that each message is an independent file that can be opened by Mail, but not part of a Mail mailbox. The contents of a folder can't be sorted using the usual sorting criteria such as From, To, Date Sent, etc.

    I need to figure out how to import these individual .eml files into a Mail mailbox. The import function in Mail is for Mailboxes, and Simple "drag and drop" or "save as" don't work. If anyone has suggestions for that, much appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments