Can't save Outlook messages to file. 'Save as' is greyed out.

Anonymous
2012-02-04T10:41:40+00:00

I am using Office for mac 2011 under OS X version 10.7.2.

I cannot 'save' or' save as' Outlook email messages or attachments. PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents save normally. In Outlook "Save as" is permanently greyed out and cannot be selected. Save is not greyed out but does not react to instructions.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

I bought the software in November on line and this problem has existed for about a month.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-05T02:18:01+00:00

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Outlook 2011.

If this is a feature you’d like to see in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking “Help” > “Send Feedback…” in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

As a workaround, if you want to save the emails, you may simply drag the email from the Outlook window to the desktop or any other location. That will save the complete email itself.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-01T08:31:42+00:00

I have the same problem and concern! I find this issue unbeleivable. I moved from windows to mac to find this office issue unacceptale!

This has to be corrected at once.

How can we manage the emails we receive in order to have them properly filed?

I can not beleive tha Microsoft could be so irresponsile in such basic issue

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-05T03:03:58+00:00

    Adding to Aravinda's response:

    The Save As... command is for saving attachments not mail. When you have an attachment selected in a mail message it will activate.

    Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-05T21:26:43+00:00

    Forgive me, but I find this answer difficult to comprehend. (If, as I

    assume, this answer comes from Microsoft, I find it unbelievable.) The save

    (and save as) functions are the most basic functions in the Office suite (or

    any other software package).

    1. We have always been able to do it. How do you think we managed when

    memory was limited and everyone had to move stuff of-line immediately?

    1. How do you set up an audit trail if you can’t capture correspondence in

    the order it happens?

    1. How do you protect yourself in the event of a systems crash? I have been

    saving important emails in files (and then taking them off premises for

    security) since I set up in business in 1993.

    1. The Office 2004 package I used before upgrading to Office 2011 had this

    facility and (thank goodness) I still have it installed on one of my older

    machines.

    By the way, the proposed ‘work around’ does not work. Even after the message

    has been dragged to the desktop, the ‘Save to’ function is still greyed out.

    I have updated the Mac Operating system and updated the Office suite and can now

    save the attachments if they have been opened, but not the messages. This

    suggests to me there is a software glitch.

    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-05T22:09:12+00:00

    Forgive me, but I find this answer difficult to comprehend.

    This is how Outlook for Mac is currently designed to work and many
    of us find the behavior lacking as you do.  
    
    Dragging the message to the Desktop is not a workaround to making
    the *Save As...* feature save a message. It's a means of
    saving the message to your Desktop where you can file it away just
    as you would a saved text message.  
    
    As Aravinda said earlier, please be sure to let Microsoft know you'd
    like to see this feature in future versions by using the **Help**
    --> *Send Feedback* mechanism in any Office application.  
    
    Hope this helps!
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments