Can't save Outlook messages to file. 'Save as' is greyed out.

Anonymous
2012-02-04T10:41:40+00:00

I am using Office for mac 2011 under OS X version 10.7.2.

I cannot 'save' or' save as' Outlook email messages or attachments. PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents save normally. In Outlook "Save as" is permanently greyed out and cannot be selected. Save is not greyed out but does not react to instructions.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

I bought the software in November on line and this problem has existed for about a month.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-05T02:18:01+00:00

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Outlook 2011.

If this is a feature you’d like to see in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking “Help” > “Send Feedback…” in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

As a workaround, if you want to save the emails, you may simply drag the email from the Outlook window to the desktop or any other location. That will save the complete email itself.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-01T08:31:42+00:00

I have the same problem and concern! I find this issue unbeleivable. I moved from windows to mac to find this office issue unacceptale!

This has to be corrected at once.

How can we manage the emails we receive in order to have them properly filed?

I can not beleive tha Microsoft could be so irresponsile in such basic issue

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-26T18:41:07+00:00

    Outlook for Mac is version 1 software where Outlook for Windows is a mature product. I suspect the team that is working on the Mac version is about the tenth the size for Windows.(total guess)

    I absolutely get that switchers are disappointed. Many Entourage users are disappointed too because we lost features from Entourage as well.

    You do have other options. One is to run Outlook for Windows under Parallels. Two, Mail & Thunderbird are free so why not give them a try. Third, export to a third party app.

    Regardless of your decision, I encourage you to send Microsoft feedback. This is a community discussion list and telling your peers isn't going to change anything.

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback 

    Are you running Lion or Mountain Lion?

    In Lion, Save As... is replaced with File...Duplicate.

    The "Save As"  command was added back in Mountain Lion.

    Mountain Lion bugs: 'Save As' behavior

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-26T09:55:29+00:00

    Exactly. I recently moved from Office on PC to Office 2011 on Mac and just could not believe what Microsoft is playing at. 

    Also, the two workarounds that have been suggested in this thread do indeed work, but are steps backwards not forwards. Why should we accept "workarounds" for something that Microsoft has designd badly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-09T01:53:06+00:00

    Hi-

    Being respectful, I have used the "save as" for email messages for years - on Outlook under Windows.  I am now using both Windows and Mac platforms.  To find "save as" was designed to have reduced functionality under the Mac platform is very frustrating.  I am accustomed to this function being available for messages and hope it is made available under Mac.

    Thank You!

    d

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments