Teams displays wrong email account after I have logged in.

Anonymous
2021-06-08T11:43:17+00:00

When I sign in to use Teams, I use an account named "******@mydomain.com". I use the Microsoft Authenticator to authenticate my identity. The login usually succeeds. I am using the Linux version of Teams. I am not accessing Teams in a browser.

After logging in to Teams, my account is displayed using a different email address, "******@somedomain.com". I do not know from where this other account comes, but I definitely want to remove all reference to it. How do I get rid of that erroneous reference to that account???

I should mention, too, that when someone invites me to a Teams meeting using "******@mydomain.com", the URL I receive never leads me to enter the meeting. I can log in to Teams using that URL, but I never see the meeting to which I have been invited.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams Free | Sign up and Sign in | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T12:20:21+00:00

    Hi AmblyoMoron,

    Thanks for your post on the community forum. I'm Nik, an independent advisor here to assist you with this.

    To narrow down the issue, could you please go to https://account.live.com/names/Manage and check if you see another email address linked as an alias to your Microsoft account?

    Do you see any difference in sign-in preference from the earlier set on your Microsoft account?

    To know more about Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account, see:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil...

    Please be advised that due to privacy security, your email address are masked in the community forum.

    Regards

    Nik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T13:31:33+00:00

    Thank you, Nik.

    At https://account.live.com/names/Manage in the Account alias section there is only one email address. It is marked as the primary alias. There are no other aliases displayed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T14:53:47+00:00

    Hi AmblyoMoron,

    Thanks for your reply.

    To narrow down the issue, please check if you see a similar experience on the MS Teams web app.

    Go to access 'Teams Web App' https://teams.microsoft.com, use the "Use the web app instead" option to open teams in a browser(preferably Firefox) and check the outcome. It will help to isolate the issue with the desktop app.

    Meanwhile, try clearing ms teams app cache and see if that helps, go to these folders and delete files from each folders and try again:

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/Application Cache/Cache

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/blob_storage

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/Cache

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/databases

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/GPUCache

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/IndexedDB

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/Local Storage

    ~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/tmp

    Please let me know the outcome, and I'll further look into this.

    Regards

    Nik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T14:55:16+00:00

    I am trying to update my primary alias, but when I go to put in a new email, it says this is already being used. Does that mean it is connected to my account somehow?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T15:57:26+00:00

    I cleared the MS Teams cache folders, as indicated. This changed nothing. After logging in again, I still see the wrong email address. I might add that when I log out from Teams, the message on screen says I am logging out from the wrong account—not the account I used to initially log in.

    I tried connecting to Teams in a browser, first in Firefox and then in Chrome. In neither case can I complete the connection. However, there is one difference I noted. After I finally get to the screen in Teams with the message "Welcome to Teams" that allows you to select an organization from a drop-down list, in the Linux app, I have no choice. The only available organization is the one I created when I first signed up with Teams. In the browser version, however, I can choose between that same organization OR my personal account. I don't know if this difference is related to the issue I am trying to solve. I want to stay focused on that issue, please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments