Can't leave an org because my account is locked

Anonymous
2023-06-22T08:36:53+00:00

A while ago, I worked with another company and I was invited to a Team on their tenant as a guest. Their tenant got added to the Organizations drop-down and I could switch over to view that Team.

That company then went out of business more than a year ago, but I still see it in my list of Organizations. I tried to tidy up my orgs list by leaving, but it prompts me to login to that tenant and then tells me that my account is locked. I can't get the account unlocked because the company is no longer operating. Is there a way to remove myself when I can't login? Or just hide the org from the list?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-28T06:16:48+00:00

    It can't be a "flaw" if it's gone 3 years without a fix.

    I mean, I see a point where maybe MS thinks it would be better to lock this so users don't accidentally leave an org they are part off.

    But there has to be a better way than this. I have multiple dead orgs and teams channels in my teams that I am part off but can't leave, because I don't have the permissions to leave them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-13T03:49:39+00:00

    Same issue here. I am unable to leave an organization as a guest and I no longer collaborate with them. This NEEDS to be fixed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-13T16:37:32+00:00

    Wow. Still not fixed. I can't leave an org I joined for a class....forever? I can never remove them if I can't contact the administrator? EVER? I can switch off the org selector entirely or go kick rocks?

    Thanks M$!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-16T11:29:38+00:00

    This is absolute nonsense. I cannot have rouge accounts linked to my account forever. There has to be a solution delivered for this. To simply hide it is not a solution, it is a workaround.

    At bare minimum our admin should be able to do it if the admin of that company cannot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-07-04T22:42:22+00:00

    This is absolutely absurd.

    Microsoft doesn't listen to anybody, or fix glaring issues in the software. The voting system is useless, nothing ever gets done.

    Unless they really screwed up something, it would probably take 10 minutes for a developer to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments