Can't leave an org because my account is locked

Anonymous
2023-06-22T08:36:53+00:00

A while ago, I worked with another company and I was invited to a Team on their tenant as a guest. Their tenant got added to the Organizations drop-down and I could switch over to view that Team.

That company then went out of business more than a year ago, but I still see it in my list of Organizations. I tried to tidy up my orgs list by leaving, but it prompts me to login to that tenant and then tells me that my account is locked. I can't get the account unlocked because the company is no longer operating. Is there a way to remove myself when I can't login? Or just hide the org from the list?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T04:01:50+00:00

    I too want to be able to leave an org where my account is locked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-18T13:36:21+00:00

    I found this thread because I was similarly stuck, and I wasn't able to remove the locked account from the Settings > Accounts and orgs screen. (You know, the logical place to manage these things.)

    ...However I was able to click "Sign out" from the organisation-selector dropdown in the main window:

    https://i.imgur.com/927fCwX.jpeg

    This seems to have now removed all traces of the obsolete locked account.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-07T10:08:09+00:00

    This was helpful, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T16:22:07+00:00

    I had the same issue and ended up going into settings -> accounts and orgs and then toggling off the organization in question. After I did that the problem still persisted. However, I then signed out of Teams and then signed back in and the problem went away, presumably because Teams is no longer trying to pull over information/notifications from that organization since it's toggled off now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T19:13:02+00:00

    Thanks to the comment from hoopjsn, my problem appears to be solved. I don't know when this possibility became available, but here is what I just did:

    • In my browser, I logged into my Microsoft 365 account.
    • Then I went to teams in the browser (clicking on teams in the left side menu).
    • Then I went to "Settings -> Accounts and Orgs" as suggested.
    • There, I was able to toggle the external organizations off.
    • After completely closing and restarting my locally installed Teams app, the "locked" organizations were gone, as were the error messages.

    Thank you to everyone who commented and tried to help - especially to Hoopjsn - I hope this is helpful to others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments