Can't leave an org because my account is locked

Anonymous
2023-06-22T08:36:53+00:00

A while ago, I worked with another company and I was invited to a Team on their tenant as a guest. Their tenant got added to the Organizations drop-down and I could switch over to view that Team.

That company then went out of business more than a year ago, but I still see it in my list of Organizations. I tried to tidy up my orgs list by leaving, but it prompts me to login to that tenant and then tells me that my account is locked. I can't get the account unlocked because the company is no longer operating. Is there a way to remove myself when I can't login? Or just hide the org from the list?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-18T13:36:21+00:00

    I found this thread because I was similarly stuck, and I wasn't able to remove the locked account from the Settings > Accounts and orgs screen. (You know, the logical place to manage these things.)

    ...However I was able to click "Sign out" from the organisation-selector dropdown in the main window:

    https://i.imgur.com/927fCwX.jpeg

    This seems to have now removed all traces of the obsolete locked account.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T11:35:16+00:00

    This is incredibly frustrating. I can't leave an organization because my 2FA setup is no longer valid, and there’s no option to manually reset it. How can Microsoft force me to remain part of another tenant when I no longer want to be? Leaving should be something I can decide on my own terms!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-17T23:57:43+00:00

    Same exact issue today, and the steps didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-17T22:59:03+00:00

    This has been the same for years now. Hard to understand why MS ignores it

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-22T09:17:37+00:00

    Hello Jessica, this is Suganya. I'm happy to assist you.

    It seems that in some cases when you are unable to leave an organization because your account is locked, you may need to contact the tenant admin to have them delete your account. However, in this case, since the company is no longer operating, it may not be possible to have the account deleted.

    One potential solution could be to try and hide the org from the list. In Microsoft Teams, you can hide an organization by clicking on your profile picture and selecting "Settings". From there, you can navigate to the "Accounts" section and toggle off the switch that says "Show organizational switcher".

    I hope this helps you to resolve the issue. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

    Regards

    Suganya

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments