Teams chat no longer works for my organization on Android phones

Anonymous
2023-10-03T18:52:15+00:00

I'm an admin for my organization, and over the past few days I've been getting a lot of support complaints about Teams chat not working on Android phones. As of last week, it was working for me, so I suspected it was a phone specific problem. However, when I first opened the app today I noticed that all my chats and functionality suddenly disappeared. The only option available in the teams app seems to be calling.

I checked the org policies, and everything is correct. This looks to be a bug on the latest version of the app.

I managed to get to "activities" by trying to save a photo to the teams app, and when I bring this up it says "Administrator has disabled chat for this user." I'm the admin, and I certainly didn't do this. All policies under messaging allow for chat.

Please help!

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-20T08:27:39+00:00

    .... It is a crippled Exchange Plan 2, so no archiving included. ...

    ok, thanks - good to know!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-19T12:39:02+00:00

    Not really... the shared one is cheaper & contains Exchange Plan 2 (unlimited archive) for some reason.

    I also think it contains Intune... not sure though...

    It is a crippled Exchange Plan 2, so no archiving included. Contacted MS about it a year ago

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-18T20:26:53+00:00

    Not really... the shared one is cheaper & contains Exchange Plan 2 (unlimited archive) for some reason.

    I also think it contains Intune... not sure though...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-18T20:09:56+00:00

    We are an MSP with over half a dozen clients with these licenses. We are still waiting for our CSP to see how we can get the licenses switched over. Both licenses are the same price for regular organisations thankfully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-17T15:57:43+00:00

    Check if you use shared devices license. If yes, it's by design.

    You have to switch licenses to teams phone standard.

    Can confirm. Swapping the "Microsoft Teams Shared Devices" license with "Microsoft Teams Phone Standard" on affected users resolved the issue for our android users. Ended up being a bit annoying though since we are non-profit and the "correct license" is more than double the cost of the "Shared Devices" license which worked for years...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments