New Teams share a window shows green overlay for viewers on macOS

Anonymous
2025-01-21T02:03:01+00:00

We've recently updated to new Teams and we are experiencing an issue when sharing a window in a meeting.
There is a green overlay on the window being shared for the viewers of the meeting. The person sharing the window cannot see the green overlay.
When sharing a full screen, the green overlay is not present.
Not all shared windows have a green overlay. Predominantly, apps such as Adobe, Microsoft, and Maxon are always affected.
This does not happen on a Mac with an M1 or later CPU, only on the Intel with discrete GPU models.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
We had opened a ticket with MS Support through our 365 tenant, however, they said there was no way to resolve this issue at present for macOS.
I did try the json editing using the Windows workaround, however the syntax for Mac is different to Windows.

Update 31/01/2025
Unfortunately, MS 365 tenant support could not assist with disabling the GPU overlay for new Teams for macOS. At this time it is impossible.

Pacifique sent me a PM to view my support ticket. He suggested I submit the ticket again and not mention the GPU causing the fault, which I have done.
The service agent suggested I try testing in Chrome to see if the issue can be replicated.

When first testing in Chrome, none of the green overlay was present in either Window mode or Full screen.
After the test in Chrome, testing the Desktop app again resulted in no green overlay.
Restarted the iMac.
Opened Chrome and the green overlay is present in both the Window mode and Full screen mode.
Teams Desktop app had the green overlay in Window mode, but not Full screen.

Update 13/03/2025
A new update has been released that resolves the issues in the Teams desktop app and through the web browser.

Thank you to all the Microsoft Support personnel and engineers who have helped resolve the issue.
A big thank you to Leon, who went above and beyond in getting the escalation that this ticket needed.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-16T01:47:04+00:00

    Same issue here.

    Seems inconsistent. Sometimes I can share a window, other times it's green.

    Teams version: 25060.203.3471.5023 (25060.203.3471.5023) - and earlier versions.

    2019 iMac, 6 core Intel Core i5, Radeon Pro 580X 8Gb

    Chrome browser - up to date, various versions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-17T20:11:21+00:00

    I am also having the same issue since upgrading to Mac OS 15. I've been using Teams on iMacs since at least 2019. Prior on a 2015 iMac and now on my current 2020 iMac 27" i5 3.1 Ghz with AMD Radeon Pro 5300 Video Card.

    I will update tonight to Mac OS 15.3.2 from 15.3.1, but I'm not expecting a fix here.

    It would be great if Microsoft could provide an update since this is acknowledged as a bug.

    Sharing Screen works, Sharing Windows is Green. Of note, it's not always Green for EVERYONE, but for most. There is no rhyme or reason to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-22T10:56:27+00:00

    I'am using the actual teams version, but I still have the same issue. A shared window appears green
    (mostly if I am only sharing with one party; if there are more attendees in a video session it sometimes works). It mostly works when I am sharing fullscreen (but this is a pain on a 27" iMac screen).
    That' the actual system:

    Any tipp or advice for me? Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-02T16:05:18+00:00

    Hi,
    Did you try to change the resolution of the screen ?
    Had this issue on a iMac 21" with too low resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments