New Teams share a window shows green overlay for viewers on macOS

Anonymous
2025-01-21T02:03:01+00:00

We've recently updated to new Teams and we are experiencing an issue when sharing a window in a meeting.
There is a green overlay on the window being shared for the viewers of the meeting. The person sharing the window cannot see the green overlay.
When sharing a full screen, the green overlay is not present.
Not all shared windows have a green overlay. Predominantly, apps such as Adobe, Microsoft, and Maxon are always affected.
This does not happen on a Mac with an M1 or later CPU, only on the Intel with discrete GPU models.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
We had opened a ticket with MS Support through our 365 tenant, however, they said there was no way to resolve this issue at present for macOS.
I did try the json editing using the Windows workaround, however the syntax for Mac is different to Windows.

Update 31/01/2025
Unfortunately, MS 365 tenant support could not assist with disabling the GPU overlay for new Teams for macOS. At this time it is impossible.

Pacifique sent me a PM to view my support ticket. He suggested I submit the ticket again and not mention the GPU causing the fault, which I have done.
The service agent suggested I try testing in Chrome to see if the issue can be replicated.

When first testing in Chrome, none of the green overlay was present in either Window mode or Full screen.
After the test in Chrome, testing the Desktop app again resulted in no green overlay.
Restarted the iMac.
Opened Chrome and the green overlay is present in both the Window mode and Full screen mode.
Teams Desktop app had the green overlay in Window mode, but not Full screen.

Update 13/03/2025
A new update has been released that resolves the issues in the Teams desktop app and through the web browser.

Thank you to all the Microsoft Support personnel and engineers who have helped resolve the issue.
A big thank you to Leon, who went above and beyond in getting the escalation that this ticket needed.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T09:03:21+00:00

    Hello Team,

    Good day! Hope you are all doing well.

    Apologies for the inconvenience this issue is causing you.

    Just wanted to share an update on this, the engineering Team have acknowledged this issue as a bug.

    The Team is working on a fix, and as of now we have no ETA, I will keep checking on it and I will share an ETA as soon as they provide it, on this thread.

    I will keep you updated as the updates come in.

    Thank you so much for your understanding and cooperation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T09:45:50+00:00

    I am having exactly the same issue - however, I have found a temporary workaround...

    Rather than sharing your window or desktop, if you share the actual app (i.e. Excel or Powerpoint), it seems to work and doesnt have the green overlay for the audience.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T21:36:41+00:00

    I'm on MacOSX Sequoia 15.3.1 and still have the issue after a Teams update this morning.

    Mac has a 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel. Core i5 Processor and a Radeon Pro 580X 8GB Graphics card

    New Teams Version 25031.1203.3429.7545 (25031.1203.3429.7545)

    The issue has not been fixed. Anyone from Microsoft Support able to update us please????

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T08:18:25+00:00

    Question for Microsoft: Is anyone working on this? When can we expect a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-28T17:24:55+00:00

    I have the same issue. I use Teams everyday and its making it difficult to work effectively.

    Can Microsoft please prioritise this newly introduced bug

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments