How do I prevent the "Your microphone is muted" message?

Anonymous
2023-04-19T14:03:33+00:00

There is a previous issue with the same title but no solution seems to be in place.

During a meeting it is good practice to mute yourself unless you have to step into the conversation. When on mute this annoying message "Your microphone is muted" pops over and over again, blocking the view to participants and/or shared screen.

The proposed workarounds are not a practical solution since they imply to be fumbling around the devices settings again and again, so this is an issue I believe should be addressed as soon as possible. A simple banner in the interface with a crossed microphone would be far better than this and for sure far less anoying.

Thank you for your time.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T09:51:40+00:00

    Yeah I get the exact same as Matt. I'm in the MacOS Teams app and I'm not even on Mute! Nothing changes if I mute or unmute via mouse or hotkeys.

    It sits in the way constantly, and is deeply annoying. We use zoom internally and I weep every time an external party insists on a Teams meeting for some imagined security benefit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-20T09:12:20+00:00

    Over 18 months since first raised and also having this problem, noticed in last meeting that when I leave the microphone enabled and the meeting organizers use the mute all option I stopped getting the popup does this work for others or was it a one off fluke of luck

    Using the Teams app is not an option since everything MS app based returns an error linking to license so won't load and stuck with the online office 365 tools until the IT department reinstall laptop after Christmas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-20T18:44:41+00:00

    Extremely Annoying and disturbing. If I talk to anyone or make a sound, while im staying mute in a teams call, it keeps popping up. And the msg is in passive voice ...your microphone is muted.

    Everytime makes me wonder if i forgot to mute by chance, and somebody muted me when my dog shouted. So un-intuitive of microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-07T17:15:59+00:00

    I'm on a customer meeting and this muted message has appeared non-stop distracted me from the meeting. Microsoft - please design better. It is a meeting platform, so stop disrupting meetings. I know I'm muted because I purposely muted myself. Your message is hiding content from the meeting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments