unable to copy and paste a Teams message that includes the sender's name and time.

Anonymous
2024-08-20T21:59:54+00:00

The Teams message with the sender name and time cannot be copied and pasted. Two week ago, I was able to do it. I want a copy of the text along with the sender name and time. same problem on both web browsers and desktop versions

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-20T23:57:57+00:00

Dear Gilgen,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist!

Based on your description regarding "unable to copy and paste a Teams message that includes the sender's name and time." My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this might be causing you, after thorough testing, I reproduced your issue at my side. It could be Microsoft changed something at backend. I will report it to replated team. The Workaround I found is to hold mouse for selecting the message with Time Stamp and name of the person you want then use CTRL+C for copy and CTRL+V for paste while you are still holding mouse. Therefore, I will update this thread as soon as I get more detail information about the query and fix.

Also, if you have the organization admin permission, you can also raise a service request to report this symptom to our online channel through the O365 admin center. A support agent can further connect with you remotely, for further troubleshooting and involve the backend team where need be. Get support for Microsoft 365 for business -- Online support. I will also revert back when I get more info on this. Your patience and cooperation are much appreciated. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Inema |Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-02T06:12:05+00:00

    Arthur, there are several of these threads on this same issue with hundreds of comments. Microsoft doesn't care about the user experience or the harm this regression has caused all of us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-05T14:59:07+00:00

    IT DOESN'T WORK!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-31T01:22:31+00:00

    Microsoft's answer to why they did this is absolute BS. It's completely illogical that any business user (or anyone having a conversation with someone longer than two sentences) would not want the date stamp and name listed for "clutter" reasons. The picture is the only thing that makes sense to remove. Or at the very least, make it an OPTION like everyone is saying. In what world does someone have a conversation, and not want to know who was speaking??? It's so asinine, it is insulting to our intelligence for Microsoft devs to claim that this was a requested feature we were all clamoring for. AT BEST, they misinterpreted general feedback to simplify and clean up the messy copy/paste from before that had the picture of the person and wonky formatting. But really, I think they screwed up and are just lying through their teeth about it now, to avoid accountability or the effort to fix it.

    Tell me, Microsoft team members - do you talk to each other like this:

    * Hello Roger and Mike, it's Dan and I'm here to ask you a question at 8:43 about what you would like for lunch

    *Thanks Dan, Mike here - it's 9:02 and I'm reading this now, and I'd like a sandwich

    * Thanks Mike - it's Dan again, and I'm confirming responding to confirm your order now that it's 9"03

    *Howdy hi - it's Roger and I'm just saying my name and the time (9:06) because its fun - even though you see my name and time next to every comment I make

    NO, BECAUSE NOBODY TALKS LIKE THIS. NO. ONE. SO THEN TELL ME...HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHO SAID WHAT, OR WHEN?

    Does Microsoft really think it's a better user experience to manually go through each comment, which could be hundreds/thousands of lines long, and manually type in the name and/or time for each one? Absolutely ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-02T07:06:01+00:00

    Hi Microsoft your workaround doesnt work anymore, so how about you actually admit you were wrong and revert to idiotic change where it truncates the information, stop giving people the usual "your feedback matters" rubbish and fix the problem YOU caused over 9 months ago.

    For anyone that wants to "give their feedback" so Microsoft's development team can actually notice, vote/post on this thread :

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/4ed7c52a-af58-ef11-b4ad-0022484d3ecc

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments