unable to copy and paste a Teams message that includes the sender's name and time.

Anonymous
2024-08-20T21:59:54+00:00

The Teams message with the sender name and time cannot be copied and pasted. Two week ago, I was able to do it. I want a copy of the text along with the sender name and time. same problem on both web browsers and desktop versions

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-20T23:57:57+00:00

Dear Gilgen,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist!

Based on your description regarding "unable to copy and paste a Teams message that includes the sender's name and time." My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this might be causing you, after thorough testing, I reproduced your issue at my side. It could be Microsoft changed something at backend. I will report it to replated team. The Workaround I found is to hold mouse for selecting the message with Time Stamp and name of the person you want then use CTRL+C for copy and CTRL+V for paste while you are still holding mouse. Therefore, I will update this thread as soon as I get more detail information about the query and fix.

Also, if you have the organization admin permission, you can also raise a service request to report this symptom to our online channel through the O365 admin center. A support agent can further connect with you remotely, for further troubleshooting and involve the backend team where need be. Get support for Microsoft 365 for business -- Online support. I will also revert back when I get more info on this. Your patience and cooperation are much appreciated. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Inema |Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T02:43:12+00:00

    Hi,

    This issue has been bugging me for some time now.

    I try and copy from teams but it strips content. I then have to add that content manually to the target window.

    Why someone would think it is a good idea to interfere with standard, expected behaviour is a mystery to me.

    The expected behaviour pretty much anywhere is that when something is selected with CTRL-C or the Copy menu option, it will be put on the clipboard. The second part of the expectation is that when pressing CTRL-V or using the Paste option from the menu, the clipboard content is pasted into the target.

    This should work like that in any application.

    If you want to modify the standard behaviour, by all means implement it and make it an option for users to set in the application's preferences.

    In my view, anything else is just broken and causes frustration and wastes peoples time.

    Please fix copy and paste so it behaves as expected.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-17T05:07:49+00:00

    Ever since this update to supposedly remove clutter it has created a nightmare for me where I have a lengthy chat log I provide to my usergroup and no one who says what. I hate Microsoft for this. You can't even highlight all the chat in the chat log to copy, it chooses how much of it gets highlighted and never preserves the point you started off with highlighting so you have to find the point where you left off. NIGHTMARE. I tell the 2000 users in the group every month how horrible Microsoft is for this. Zoom for 10 years automatically sends you an email with the chat log. No option for that in Teams, only 2 hours worth of worth to copy and paste. Co-Pilot can't even understand the problem I am asking it for help on. I curse Microsoft for making my life hell!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-03T21:05:10+00:00

    How has this not been fixed yet, the work around is ridiculous this is basic functionality and we pay an enormous amount for microsoft 365

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-02T11:55:35+00:00

    It will be the optimal solution for MS Team to provide a button to export the chat history with the options to select what to be included. The results of the current workaround is sort of messy. It is highly desired that the exported file appears as seen on the screen.

    I completely agree.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments