unable to copy and paste a Teams message that includes the sender's name and time.

Anonymous
2024-08-20T21:59:54+00:00

The Teams message with the sender name and time cannot be copied and pasted. Two week ago, I was able to do it. I want a copy of the text along with the sender name and time. same problem on both web browsers and desktop versions

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-20T23:57:57+00:00

Dear Gilgen,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist!

Based on your description regarding "unable to copy and paste a Teams message that includes the sender's name and time." My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this might be causing you, after thorough testing, I reproduced your issue at my side. It could be Microsoft changed something at backend. I will report it to replated team. The Workaround I found is to hold mouse for selecting the message with Time Stamp and name of the person you want then use CTRL+C for copy and CTRL+V for paste while you are still holding mouse. Therefore, I will update this thread as soon as I get more detail information about the query and fix.

Also, if you have the organization admin permission, you can also raise a service request to report this symptom to our online channel through the O365 admin center. A support agent can further connect with you remotely, for further troubleshooting and involve the backend team where need be. Get support for Microsoft 365 for business -- Online support. I will also revert back when I get more info on this. Your patience and cooperation are much appreciated. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Inema |Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-27T16:44:53+00:00

    I had this issue investingated last week. Here is the response from Microsoft:

    I have shared the video with the senior team, and they have confirmed that this is indeed a new update in Microsoft Teams. It was a feature requested on the user feedback page.
    This update is being rolled out to all tenants globally, not just to your users.

    see link Copying the selected text should only copy selected text, not sender · Community (microsoft.com)
    {https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/6186a0fe-f402-ef11-a73d-6045bd7e894e}

    Additionally, some customers are advocating for this to be an optional feature, and hopefully, that will be implemented as well.

    Osahon Ozabor.

    Support Engineer - Microsoft Teams.
    For Microsoft Customer Support
    Working Hours: Monday - Friday 1:00PM – 9:00 PM (UTC)

    I absolutely cannot believe this would have been modified on a single suggestion. This is such a horrible change that has broken a very important and critical component to providing full conversation information including name, date and time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-30T18:44:19+00:00

    Where was that reply posted? I'd like to see it.

    It makes no sense that most users of TEAMS would want to copy a conversation WITHOUT the name and timestamp. EVERY communication platform shows a sender and a time/date when something is posted or someone replies because IT"S IMPORTANT.

    Example: Which comments after the first two are from John and which are Matt and when did this conversation occur? NO ONE KNOWS.

    Hi John. I need those numbers from you by EOW.

    Sure Matt, I'll be working on them.

    I have a question. Is the top number the largest?

    No, usually the top number is the smallest.

    But I wonder now how that is going to work?

    I really am not sure.

    I'll have to do some investigation.

    I'll investigate as well and see which one is correct.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-29T14:49:48+00:00

    Ridiculous change. Cannot see any benefit at all. Please revert it or make optional.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-28T16:57:39+00:00

    I completely agree! If they were making such a major change then the first time it was updated it should have been made an optional setting. This is delaying so much time to have to input the name/time of the conversation for EACH comment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments