New Team doesn't have a General Channel

Anonymous
2024-09-03T14:22:01+00:00

I've just created a new Team and during creation I was asked to create the first channel name, I attempted to use 'General' but was told this was already used so I just carried on making the rest of the required channels. Now when I look within 'Manage Team'->'Channels' there is no General channel. It appears it was never created and If I try to create it manually I get the error "The name General is reserved. Try another name."

I have restarted Teams & cleared the Cache but still do not have a General channel.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams and channels | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-09-03T16:33:25+00:00

Dear Callum Butler,

Good day! Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community. We will be happy to help you.

It sounds like you’ve encountered a common issue in Microsoft Teams. The “General” channel is indeed reserved and automatically created when a new team is set up. you are right! I tested the same on my end, it seems the General channel no longer automatically created when creating a Team from scratch (a basic team), seems currently to get this General channel created, you need to use the More create team options and choose the "From another team" or "From a template" and use the "Manage a Project" for example.

This behavior will be reported to Microsoft for confirmation, and we will monitor it. We will provide you with an update as soon as we receive it.

Thanks in advance for your understanding! Your patience and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-04T17:47:55+00:00

    Also, if you create a new team from scratch, and you create a channel with the same name as the team name (one of our users did this since "General" was not automatically created and they were confused), the Files tab in that channel does not work. We renamed the channel to something else, and that solved the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T09:30:32+00:00

    I understand the change(??!!??) but to prevent users from adding a General channel once a Team is created is ludicrous. My company has an established and documented process for using the General channel and I either have to set up a new request process through Administrators (counterintuitive to users creating Teams when required) or come up with a new generic channel name and update comms accordingly. I have two or three clients in the same position. Please please please can you release the General label for end-user use?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T09:38:39+00:00

    Or just put it back to creating a general channel by default!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T13:44:56+00:00

    Says it's reserved - but it's not showing??? WTH?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments