New Team doesn't have a General Channel

Anonymous
2024-09-03T14:22:01+00:00

I've just created a new Team and during creation I was asked to create the first channel name, I attempted to use 'General' but was told this was already used so I just carried on making the rest of the required channels. Now when I look within 'Manage Team'->'Channels' there is no General channel. It appears it was never created and If I try to create it manually I get the error "The name General is reserved. Try another name."

I have restarted Teams & cleared the Cache but still do not have a General channel.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams and channels | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-09-03T16:33:25+00:00

Dear Callum Butler,

Good day! Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community. We will be happy to help you.

It sounds like you’ve encountered a common issue in Microsoft Teams. The “General” channel is indeed reserved and automatically created when a new team is set up. you are right! I tested the same on my end, it seems the General channel no longer automatically created when creating a Team from scratch (a basic team), seems currently to get this General channel created, you need to use the More create team options and choose the "From another team" or "From a template" and use the "Manage a Project" for example.

This behavior will be reported to Microsoft for confirmation, and we will monitor it. We will provide you with an update as soon as we receive it.

Thanks in advance for your understanding! Your patience and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-11T22:04:41+00:00

    It's now been 5 months. Still no fix. Amazing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-10T23:10:26+00:00

    Whoever is in charge of New Teams and New Outlook should really spend some time out in the real work before suggesting some of these strange features. It's great that we can now define the name of it, but what if we want to be the name General. It's like they obviously put some thought into it because the added the safety check to not allow the word General. But it never cross their mind that someone would like to call it General when they first create it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T19:27:50+00:00

    It was mentioned earlier in another thread (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/unable-to-create-a-general-channel-from-scratch-in/34600a8c-5aa0-4b09-b220-bc74753ff2bf) that a fix is expected by Q1 2025. The original intended feature, to my understanding, is this one ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=395931 ). I have a few questions regarding the behaviors that will result from this fix:

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-03T16:03:34+00:00

    Hello Paul - please can we have an update asap. I have had to re-engineer a business process for one customer and for another who wanted the G channel, we had to revert to Admin creation. This is not on as it is telling the business they now cannot create their teams. Is this really what MS wants when all of the toolkit material is about empowering the end user! Be nice to know progress (if) on a solution) before I re-engineer my biggest process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments