Force New Teams to open in Chat view, not Teams

Anonymous
2023-12-27T14:32:02+00:00

Old Teams would open up on the Chat view panel whenever I started it.

New Teams always opens in the Teams view panel when i start it.

I can find no setting to pick which view panel should open when the program is started.

To be clear, I do have the program set to keep running, and when i open it from the dock, it will open in whatever the last view i had open was. The problem is on fresh starts of the program, I can't force it to always start in the Chat view.

Is there a registry change or something that can be made to force the program to always open in the Chat view (or to set any view as default for that matter)?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T12:34:52+00:00

    My organization has now developed its own 'start page' app in Teams and somehow configured Teams to always open to that intranet site. The interesting bit is I am not allowed to uninstall the app. So there must an admin setting somewhere to force a start page? Employees here are upset by the intrusion (the app truly provides superficial/generalized information and is of little value). Seems we could have circumvented our misguided company by allowing users to configure their own start page or app. Ah well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T17:13:23+00:00

    Changing HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Teams

    StartPage to 1 had the affect of opening where I last closed.

    I haven't tried to see what happens after a reboot yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T12:01:23+00:00

    Some of us using Teams on MacOS have the same issue. Classic Teams opens in chat but new Teams insists on teams.

    In our organization, we use chat WAY more than the teams function.

    It's just so weird that some of us open in Chat, some in Teams. There MUST be a setting somewhere telling Teams what to open up to, otherwise we'd all have the same experience. So the big question is... where is that setting? Most likely a registry entry that we could potentially change. I DO see an entry called StartPage.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T00:10:01+00:00

    Me too

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T12:26:48+00:00

    I believe Microsoft updated the classic Teams function to default to chat which is why you see the added chat layout option in the general settings. But in the past, there was a check box that said register teams as chat app which would default it to load on chat on startup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments