Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T17:36:02+00:00

    This is a good workaround, but not always feasable. Especially when you have multiple meetings (training) going on during a D365 implementation! You can't make people wait that long in the lobby. Microsoft needs to fix this. Zoom can do it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T22:44:10+00:00

    Hi ChristinaN15,

    I am Amro, an independent advisor here to assist you.

    Please note that for private Teams meetings, the first person to join the meeting will automatically start the recording if they are from the organisation hosting the meeting. They become the owner of the recording. It is stored in their OneDrive.

    For channel Teams meetings, the first person to join still automatically starts the recording. But the recording file is stored in the channel under Files > Recordings. Team owners have full permission. Team members have edit permission.

    I hope this answers your question, please don't hesitate to reply if you need any further Assistance
    Best Regards.

    Hi ChristinaN15,

    I usually have the recording setup to record when we have interviews. Does the interviewee have access to these recordings? I only want the host and co-organizer to have access not the person we are interviewing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T19:55:02+00:00

    Adding my organization to the list that was bitten by this. We had a meeting set to auto-record and then attended solely by a Teams Meeting Room and attendees outside of our organization.

    Not only did the organizer not receive the recording in their own OneDrive, since nobody within our domain other than the TMR joined, Teams was not able to save the video anywhere. As a result, the meeting was never uploaded and deleted after only 20 days. Needless to say, a month after the meeting took place this person needed to access the recording they assumed was in their OneDrive, it was not there and was deleted with no chance to recover.

    This really needs to be changed. We were a Zoom shop and migrated to Teams, it was insanely easy to manage recordings in Zoom. No it is not and we risk losing important recordings that our users just assume will be available to review.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T10:14:09+00:00

    There's an open feature request for this - I encourage you all to up-vote and comment on this so that Microsoft might eventually listen!

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/710b572a-524e-ee11-a81c-6045bdbbbc93

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T06:48:53+00:00

    Currently the feedback website is offline for me.

    Does someone know if MSFT implemented/rolled out this "Feature" around 11.June.2024?
    Is there any way to change this behaviour?

    We have multiple users who create meetigns for other users, but since 11.June the recording does not get saved with the user who started the recording, but with the organizer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments