Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T15:02:13+00:00

    Microsoft,

    As a project manager who has let's just say a lot of meetings and some overlap, some run over and I am responsible for doing all the recaps. As the meeting organizer and owner I should own every artifact that is created as a result of the meeting I own and organize.

    The behavior is as my esteemed colleagues in this thread have pointed out, illogical (to put it nicely - not what I am thinking trust me). I too have many coworkers in my organization who are extremely irritated (again putting it nicely) with this behavior.

    Now - as others have mentioned Zoom does not operate this way. I feel that Microsoft remains so far behind Zoom, and others in specific products, it is becoming difficult to continue to assert that Microsoft is the appropriate solution for all things. Maybe as consumers of software services and solutions we should really start considering the cost of doing business and falling short using Microsoft when they have no idea what the needs and use cases are nor do they seem to care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T15:10:47+00:00

    I'm in the same boat with you - we have to have every recording accounted for as a PM where I work.
    I have been using the workaround of making others use the lobby, which is helpful but annoying that it has to be done to protect the artifacts for my projects. Microsoft, please fix this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T07:55:19+00:00

    Hello A. User,

    Can you explain the following statement?

    In the meantime i want to mention that the organiser is assigned edit permissions if the recording was auto-started by an attendee.

    How do we access this? I can't find the recording anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T14:22:45+00:00

    Hello A. User,

    Can you explain the following statement?

    In the meantime i want to mention that the organiser is assigned edit permissions if the recording was auto-started by an attendee.

    How do we access this? I can't find the recording anywhere.

    If you were invited to the meeting that was recorded, you may still have access unless something has happened with the permissions, like the owner (first person to start the meeting) has changed the permissions. Go to your stream profile (if you're signed into Microsoft, just go to stream.com or click on stream in your 365 account. Every recording you have access to can be found there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-28T11:18:37+00:00

    I'm joining this thread late after a search as I'm having the same problem. This configuration - the first attendee owning the recording - is completely nonsensical. You should be taking this to the product team to fix because it is a really bad product configuration.

    It make sense that initiated-recordings are owned by the initiator, but auto-record meetings should be owned by the organiser. Reason being that they will be the one who set the need for a recording in the first place (by setting to auto record) and they will almost always want control over access subsequently (sharing the recording).

    Our organisation has 100k employees and sessions regularly get forwarded outside of our area of the organisation. It makes no sense that the first attendee has to field all the requests for access subsequently, or that the organiser has to track down whoever happened to join first to discuss sharing settings and access after the meeting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments