Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T15:05:26+00:00

    This just started happening to me as well (after a year of it working normally). I found the following work around but not sure if it will work for everyone.

    When you have the recording opened in Stream, hit the "Edit" button in the right hand corner (next to the "Share button".

    This should open up options previously there, such as the "Copy to" function.

    Hit "Copy to". This took me to my colleague's files initially, but at the top of the screen there is a "My Files: icon. I clicked that and now all the Quick Access files became my OneDrive link and not my colleague's. Proceeded to copy the file as I had always done and it worked. The new copied file I was now the owner of.

    Hope some of you have the same luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-27T14:24:28+00:00

    Same problem here. This is really frustrating - as i had to ask someone to chair a meeting and now cant watch the video to my own meeting. The channel idea is a good option if it works - but need to wait for PA to come back from leave to try it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T16:05:12+00:00

    Same issue here. In addition to being inconvenient, it is a privacy risk as well. Please help us, MS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-09T16:00:58+00:00

    Microsoft really needs to fix this completely backwards process. I have people in my organization who join 10 minutes early on Teams meetings and they end up owning the recording. As a project manager who needs to have access to my project's artifacts, this is a huge issue. I'll use the workaround of using the lobby, but I find it odd that Microsoft, of all companies, can't figure out how to do this properly and/or they don't have the insight on how backwards this process is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T19:21:50+00:00

    Microsoft, please fix this and stop giving us good/important features without the right controls and please stop making us have to keep posting "here is a possible workaround for a broken/bad feature")

    Turn on Start Recording Automatically followed by simple choice of who owns the recording (Me the organizer, invited presenter, first to join)

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments