Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-22T14:18:43+00:00

    I doubt they will address it. They just don't get it. We are not using Zoom, which works, because they have a flaky privacy policy. The privacy policy here is better, but the mechanics render the policy moot since the recording may end up anywhere. I'm afraid this will persist until something serious enough occurs to get lawyers involved :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-29T17:34:44+00:00

    Nthing this request. I need to be able to control where recordings end up.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T13:13:56+00:00

    Hi ChristinaN15, Thanks for raising this issue here. Yes, we too today faced this shocking issue, which is quite absurd on the way it works. It has to be categorized not as a bug but ultimate stupidity of those who designed its behaviour. On what logic the so-called experts of Microsoft decided to make the first attended as the owner of the recording not even the organizer or the Admin of the team or even the administrator. It is a huge security lapse first to stupidly allow the logic of First attendee is the Owner of the recording, and then with no permission shares the video to everyone of the attendees. Most aburd ever seen. Not sure why Microsoft is slowly making one lose the confidence on its product. Now not sure how to stop the auto sharing of the recording and how to stop this stupid Microsoft's logic of "First attendee becomes the owner of the recording". Seems till today even after months of your post still Microsoft as part of its custom never bothered or cared to fix this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-16T00:51:13+00:00

    We ju so we wouldn't forget to turn on Transcription. (they should have that as an option as well)

    We were l the recording when someone told me where to go find the recording for my meeting in a certain place in OneDrive. The file wasn't there and when I opened it from Teams, I could see that it was owned by the first person in the meeting. I downloaded it from there and uploaded it to a Teams Channel.

    It looks like the meetings hosted by a Teams Channel would work, but I'm not sure how Copilot would react.

    Sometimes it feels like Microsoft has no idea how their customers actually use their products.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments