Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-22T14:18:43+00:00

    I doubt they will address it. They just don't get it. We are not using Zoom, which works, because they have a flaky privacy policy. The privacy policy here is better, but the mechanics render the policy moot since the recording may end up anywhere. I'm afraid this will persist until something serious enough occurs to get lawyers involved :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-22T13:50:26+00:00

    I am also facing this issue - my meeting recording is stored in someone elses' OneDrive, and I therefore do not have permissions to trim the video. I do not even have permissions to move the file to a different folder.

    If I had known that the first person to join the meeting would 'own' the recording under this setting, I would not have chosen to auto-record.

    This needs to be addressed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-21T08:30:17+00:00

    I agree with everyone above.
    This doesn't make any logical sense, and is counterintuitive. It feels like designers hadn't considered at all where recordings would be stored.

    If the video contains anything sensitive, or could, it's dangerous.

    The meeting organiser would immediately lose control of the content from the second the recording has occurred.

    We use Teams for regular weekly meeting that gets recorded for those who can't attend. I had wanted to put the recordings up on SharePoint for everyone to be able to review - I thought if I could just work out where they were, I could move them to one location using Power Automate.
    But even though this is a weekly, recurring meeting, the recordings are distributed all over the place, in the OneDrive of one of the 100 people who happened to sign in first. Totally nonsensical.

    The whole point of setting this all up was to be able to automate it, but somehow it seems like the only way to manage this situation is to physically move each recording every week into the SharePoint folder.... once you've worked out where it is, of course.
    Microsoft, why is what should be such a simple task so unnecessarily and inexplicably difficult?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-11T14:51:30+00:00

    Same issue here...

    The problem is also, that I as the meeting organizer cannot do anything with that replay anymore, including trimming of the video etc. On top, how should I be able to find ALL of my recordings when they are stored on different onedrive locations of my many colleagues? (e.g. scheduling many training sessions with auto recording, but don't have all the recordings in one location to easily find them and distribute them further)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T15:14:03+00:00

    I found some people are getting around the issue by forcing people to wait in the lobby until the organizer starts the meeting. That makes sure you are the first one in the meeting. Not sure if that will work in your situation, but I am about to give it a try. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments