Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T15:02:13+00:00

    Microsoft,

    As a project manager who has let's just say a lot of meetings and some overlap, some run over and I am responsible for doing all the recaps. As the meeting organizer and owner I should own every artifact that is created as a result of the meeting I own and organize.

    The behavior is as my esteemed colleagues in this thread have pointed out, illogical (to put it nicely - not what I am thinking trust me). I too have many coworkers in my organization who are extremely irritated (again putting it nicely) with this behavior.

    Now - as others have mentioned Zoom does not operate this way. I feel that Microsoft remains so far behind Zoom, and others in specific products, it is becoming difficult to continue to assert that Microsoft is the appropriate solution for all things. Maybe as consumers of software services and solutions we should really start considering the cost of doing business and falling short using Microsoft when they have no idea what the needs and use cases are nor do they seem to care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T19:21:50+00:00

    Microsoft, please fix this and stop giving us good/important features without the right controls and please stop making us have to keep posting "here is a possible workaround for a broken/bad feature")

    Turn on Start Recording Automatically followed by simple choice of who owns the recording (Me the organizer, invited presenter, first to join)

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-09T16:00:58+00:00

    Microsoft really needs to fix this completely backwards process. I have people in my organization who join 10 minutes early on Teams meetings and they end up owning the recording. As a project manager who needs to have access to my project's artifacts, this is a huge issue. I'll use the workaround of using the lobby, but I find it odd that Microsoft, of all companies, can't figure out how to do this properly and/or they don't have the insight on how backwards this process is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T16:05:12+00:00

    Same issue here. In addition to being inconvenient, it is a privacy risk as well. Please help us, MS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-27T14:24:28+00:00

    Same problem here. This is really frustrating - as i had to ask someone to chair a meeting and now cant watch the video to my own meeting. The channel idea is a good option if it works - but need to wait for PA to come back from leave to try it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments