Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T14:53:08+00:00

    I have found a work around for this issue that may be helpful. Not that it makes sense. About a month or so ago I realized that Microsoft made a change so that even though I may not own the recording I can go to Sharepoint Stream and I can download the recording. I then can save the recording and distribute as I require.

    Have you used the lobby feature? You can set it to not allow people to bypass, then set it to record automatically. Once you start the meeting, then it starts recording and you own the video.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T14:51:32+00:00

    Yep, I think Stream is new since I first posted this question. However, that doesn’t fix the security issue of someone else (not an organizer) having the file. It’ll also remain in the Teams meeting’s “chat” post-meeting until the owner (again, not an organizer) deletes the file and the auto generated chat entry. There are times when you want people to attend the meetings live, and need the recording to share with only specific people.

    This why I use the lobby feature - that way it doesn't record until I start the meeting. It's a pain to do this each time, but it allows me to own the recording. But it's more of a pain to download and then redistribute as needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T14:33:04+00:00

    Yep, I think Stream is new since I first posted this question. However, that doesn’t fix the security issue of someone else (not an organizer) having the file. It’ll also remain in the Teams meeting’s “chat” post-meeting until the owner (again, not an organizer) deletes the file and the auto generated chat entry. There are times when you want people to attend the meetings live, and need the recording to share with only specific people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T11:41:39+00:00

    It is clear Microsoft has no intention of fixing this so perhaps we should all stop using it... My advice is to report this behavior to your CISO or whomever is in charge of security at your organization. Perhaps pressure from that direction will be enough to inspire a change of suites. The all-in-one value proposition of 365 is greatly diminished if orgs have to also pay subscriptions to best-in-class providers to make up for gaps in meeting, chat, disk-share and other productivity solutions.. your CFO should recognize that even if microsoft does not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T10:16:37+00:00

    I have found a work around for this issue that may be helpful. Not that it makes sense. About a month or so ago I realized that Microsoft made a change so that even though I may not own the recording I can go to Sharepoint Stream and I can download the recording. I then can save the recording and distribute as I require.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments