Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-11T00:04:34+00:00

    That's actually a great workaround given the choices :-). I work for a small organization so it wouldn't be cumbersome for me. But I agree Microsoft needs to add just a little more control for this. I'm still upset that they are getting rid of OneNote next year! Loop as a pseudo replacement, no thanks. We need a NOTE app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T23:43:24+00:00

    here is a tip that only work if you are certain you will attend the meeting,
    change the lobby behaviour. Change Who can bypass the lobby to ‘Only me’. All attendees will wait in a lobby till you join the meeting and admit everyone from the lobby. The meeting will start recording automatically from the time that you join. The meeting recording will then be saved into your OneDrive.

    If I change the "bypass the lobby" to Only Me, then I have to monitor and admit all attendees - even those that are late to the meeting. It adds an additional layer of administration that I would rather avoid.

    I agree this workaround is way more cumbersome than it should be - I have a large company meeting this afternoon that I'm going to manage by leaving my prior meeting 5 mins early and join/ start the meeting myself, and if anyone is already in there, I'll boot them out, leave and then restart.

    Not ideal as I'd have to make sure the person I booted knew they would need to rejoin - particularly if it's an exec or the CEO!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T21:02:25+00:00

    here is a tip that only work if you are certain you will attend the meeting,
    change the lobby behaviour. Change Who can bypass the lobby to ‘Only me’. All attendees will wait in a lobby till you join the meeting and admit everyone from the lobby. The meeting will start recording automatically from the time that you join. The meeting recording will then be saved into your OneDrive.

    If I change the "bypass the lobby" to Only Me, then I have to monitor and admit all attendees - even those that are late to the meeting. It adds an additional layer of administration that I would rather avoid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T10:03:53+00:00

    Not that I am aware, no. It would require you to consider who is the organiser to ensure the recording goes into the right place. Adding a co-organiser to a meeting should ensure they have edit rights to the recording automatically.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T09:54:58+00:00

    Thank you for the info, do you know if there is a setting to revert to the old behaviour?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments