Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-11T14:51:30+00:00

    Same issue here...

    The problem is also, that I as the meeting organizer cannot do anything with that replay anymore, including trimming of the video etc. On top, how should I be able to find ALL of my recordings when they are stored on different onedrive locations of my many colleagues? (e.g. scheduling many training sessions with auto recording, but don't have all the recordings in one location to easily find them and distribute them further)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-22T13:50:26+00:00

    I am also facing this issue - my meeting recording is stored in someone elses' OneDrive, and I therefore do not have permissions to trim the video. I do not even have permissions to move the file to a different folder.

    If I had known that the first person to join the meeting would 'own' the recording under this setting, I would not have chosen to auto-record.

    This needs to be addressed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T15:05:26+00:00

    This just started happening to me as well (after a year of it working normally). I found the following work around but not sure if it will work for everyone.

    When you have the recording opened in Stream, hit the "Edit" button in the right hand corner (next to the "Share button".

    This should open up options previously there, such as the "Copy to" function.

    Hit "Copy to". This took me to my colleague's files initially, but at the top of the screen there is a "My Files: icon. I clicked that and now all the Quick Access files became my OneDrive link and not my colleague's. Proceeded to copy the file as I had always done and it worked. The new copied file I was now the owner of.

    Hope some of you have the same luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-14T00:41:00+00:00

    Hi ChristinaN15,

    I am Amro, an independent advisor here to assist you.

    Please note that for private Teams meetings, the first person to join the meeting will automatically start the recording if they are from the organisation hosting the meeting. They become the owner of the recording. It is stored in their OneDrive.

    For channel Teams meetings, the first person to join still automatically starts the recording. But the recording file is stored in the channel under Files > Recordings. Team owners have full permission. Team members have edit permission.

    I hope this answers your question, please don't hesitate to reply if you need any further Assistance

    Best Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-22T14:18:43+00:00

    I doubt they will address it. They just don't get it. We are not using Zoom, which works, because they have a flaky privacy policy. The privacy policy here is better, but the mechanics render the policy moot since the recording may end up anywhere. I'm afraid this will persist until something serious enough occurs to get lawyers involved :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments