Teams account for child without phone number

Anonymous
2020-07-26T19:12:12+00:00

I am trying to set up teams accounts for my 2 kids since we all will need different logins between my work and their school.  I was able to create the account, get a verification email to the child's email address, but when I try to finish setting up the account, it requires a phone number.  My children do not have phones and it will not let me use my phone number again.  How do I set it up without requiring another phone number?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T12:53:29+00:00

    Yes and go directly to authenticator if set up that way. Or allow an adult to set up authenticator for a child account that could use thar method.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T10:13:11+00:00

    When authenticating/validating an account that is configured as Child (through Microsoft Family settings), a suggestion would be that the authentication/validation process should rather trigger a validation through the Microsoft Family settings (parent's) application - just for any other elevation or delegated authentication - not by adding a unique phone number.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-14T08:29:50+00:00

    Anna, if we were to follow your suggestion, then those other family members that shared their number would not be able to use teams. And I don't quite see how using someone else's phone number enhances security - quite the opposite in fact. My child is registered as a family member. I fail to see how allowing me to approve their account using Authenticator would be less secure than them "borrowing" someone else's phone number.

    This is an easy fix. Especially this year, when screen solutions are essential for allowing people to meet, talk and play together. Come on Microsoft, give it a go and solve it.

    Regards,

    G.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-31T18:48:23+00:00

    I am having the same issue, and indeed it is a retarded policy that does not provide any more security in fact it does the opposite. you don't need to ask for phone numbers from children. The account is clearly marked as such so why wouldn't there be an option to send an email to the parents or ask for the account's parent's phone number?

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-05T19:47:14+00:00

    I've got a similar question.

    Creating an account for my grandma (in my family) to use Teams for family video calling.

    My grandma doesn't have a mobile phone number either.

    What's the best way to achieve this?

    Thanks,

    G

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments