Teams account for child without phone number

Anonymous
2020-07-26T19:12:12+00:00

I am trying to set up teams accounts for my 2 kids since we all will need different logins between my work and their school.  I was able to create the account, get a verification email to the child's email address, but when I try to finish setting up the account, it requires a phone number.  My children do not have phones and it will not let me use my phone number again.  How do I set it up without requiring another phone number?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T14:16:05+00:00

    Have there been any further developments with this item?

    I do find it odd that I can set up a family account to include my kids, but then there’s a requirement for them to have their own telephone number to use Teams (which kids under a certain age won’t have).

    Are Microsoft actively reviewing whether this could be changed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-28T14:05:21+00:00

    Hello, I have been monitoring this thread for over a year, and it is unfortunate that there is still no resolution from Microsoft.

    But, there is a work around.

    Just purchase a number; set up teams account for your children, and then cancel the number.

    I purchased my numbers through numberbarn.com. They were $5.00/each.

    If you want, you can park the numbers for $2.00/mo, and then port them over to your child’s cell phone, if/when that time comes, or just cancel the account. Either way, it is easy to then register teams with the newly purchased number, under your child’s family account, setting it up under their email address/profile.

    That's a viable workaround 👍

    However, people should be aware that by accident or through malice, anyone who subsequently picks up that number (assuming it is let go and not parked) would be able to use it as a username for the Windows account and as a means to reset the password, and even multi-factor authentication.

    The question I therefore have, for anyone who has tried this, is whether you can continue to access Teams if you remove the number from your account after using it to set Teams up?

    P:ostscript - I've noticed that our kids can access Teams in the Windows app, accept an invitation to join and use the service. It is only while signing in using the Teams app on Android (have not tried iOS) that requires a phone number, however the app requires a phone number even after they have accessed Teams on the web, and it is on Android that they need to access Teams.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-29T08:12:07+00:00

    I live in a mobile blackspot, by the time I can get the sms text the page on my pc has timed out so will just carry on with FB/Zoom.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-29T20:17:54+00:00

    How do I use Teams if I don't want to install proprietary Authenticator software on my phone that contains 5 trackers and requires 30 permissions?

    https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/169174/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-22T15:24:19+00:00

    How to Login to teams if I don’t have a phone number

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments