Keyboard Back and Forward Arrow Keys Not Working in Chat

Anonymous
2021-11-18T19:29:31+00:00

When I am typing in the message/chat window and I want to go back using the arrow keys on my keyboard it doesn't work. The cursor doesn't move at all. I have to use the mouse to move the cursor. I am running Teams on Windows 11 22000.318, Teams version 1.4.00.29469 (64-bit).

On a side note, I have also noticed that typing the three ` no longer puts me into Code Snippet mode.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-13T16:34:38+00:00

    Since a month or two, I also can't make bulleted lists anymore in a Teams message. The first bullet is fine, but if I press Shift+Enter, the next line doesn't have a new bullet, and if I press Enter, it sends the message. No way to start a second bullet!

    You need to put your text field into edit mode, and then you can hit enter to get more bullets (or numbers, etc.). To do that you can either do the keyboard cntl+shift+x or click the A/pencil icon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2022-05-27T00:57:57+00:00

    For what it's worth, terminating Teams by closing the app window did nothing, (as I think others have reported.) In Task Manager, there was a group of processes under the Apps category, and the problem was ultimately solved by terminating that group.

    What may be useful, however, is the observation that, before I deleted that group, I found a lengthy list of Teams processes, most of which were labeled Teams (32-bit) and I'm sorry I didn't keep more accurate notes about this as I was thrashing at the time. I can say that the problem wasn't solved by deleting those extra processes. It continued until after all Teams processes were terminated and Teams restarted.

    I should also add that I'm using Remote Desktop a lot, getting on my desktop machine via VPN from home and from conference rooms around my office. When I log into the conference room machines, they automatically launch Teams, so I have Teams running simultaneously on at least two machines at one time, one of which is displaying the other in Remote Desktop.

    I'm hoping this last observation creates a possible repro case for Teams developers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-02T14:31:55+00:00

    I am running version 1.5.00.11163 (64-bit). It was last updated on 5/10/2022. I also have this issue - arrow keys not working to navigate my message text in Teams chat. This is the only place I've noticed this issue.

    Also, weirdly enough, I can use the up/down arrows, just not left/right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-02T15:19:47+00:00

    It has been over a year, and this is a verified issue with Teams. This is verified because I see the exact same issue running Teams in any browser in Linux, as well as the Desktop App in Windows. I have had users reporting that they see the same behaviour in MacOS as well.

    In the browser, if I just refresh the entire page it starts working again, but sometimes have to close the browser and open it again. In the Desktop app quitting the app may help. Unfortunately, when I'm hosting a 3hrs long meeting with tens of people I can't really do any of that anyways during the meeting, can I?

    This is one of those things that Microsoft will not address. Ultimately because they allocate resources where the company is expected to make money. Teams is only growing and they are not losing customers over this, so they won't have their employees chasing after a "small" problem like this. I have been personally victimized by Microsoft support several times in the past 4 years, so unfortunately I do not trust them in any capacity to care at all. You are not going to see a fix for this until this is fixed by accident, or somehow it affects their politics or bottom line.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments