Keyboard Back and Forward Arrow Keys Not Working in Chat

Anonymous
2021-11-18T19:29:31+00:00

When I am typing in the message/chat window and I want to go back using the arrow keys on my keyboard it doesn't work. The cursor doesn't move at all. I have to use the mouse to move the cursor. I am running Teams on Windows 11 22000.318, Teams version 1.4.00.29469 (64-bit).

On a side note, I have also noticed that typing the three ` no longer puts me into Code Snippet mode.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-22T08:36:42+00:00

    Same here. Teams version: 1.4.00.32771 (64-bit)

    Arrow keys randomly stops working on both a usb keyboard as well as my laptop integrated keyboard. None of the suggested fixes seem permanent so definitely a bug that needs addressing by MS

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T19:20:50+00:00

    I also encounter this issue.

    Seems like the UP/DOWN are directed to Home/End and the LEFT/RIGHT don't respond.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-10T21:01:50+00:00

    Having this same issue, but I was able to restore the arrow keys. First end all TEAM processes (under apps) in Task Manager, then re-start Teams. It restored the arrow keys in my case. Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.2164 (64-bit). It was last updated on 2/9/2022.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-18T10:22:55+00:00

    When Teams gets stuck in this mode the cursor keys do still work, but the behavior is altered:

    LEFT/RIGHT : no response (unusual behavior)

    UP/DOWN : go up/down to the start of the next line (put a LOT of text into a chat box to see what I mean) (unusual behavior)

    CTRL+LEFT/CTRL+RIGHT: jump left and right to the start of the prev/next word (normal behavior)

    SHIFT+LEFT/SHIFT+RIGHT: select one character at a time, going leftwards or rightwards (normal behavior)

    CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT/CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT: jump one word at a time, selecting as you go (normal behavior)

    ..so, the cursor is capable of moving left/right one char at a time, but only when you're holding SHIFT, which isn't much use because you can't clear the selection. You might as well use CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT followed by BACKSPACE/DELETE and retype the word you want to change :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T01:44:57+00:00

    Same here. Seems to work for a while then quits. Arrow key functionality is fine outside the app.

    win10 21h1 enterprise

    Teams Version 1.4.00.35564 (64-bit)

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments