why is Teams so slow and unresponsive when with more then 10 people in the call

Anonymous
2020-04-16T19:04:14+00:00

Do other people have this also that Teams get so laggy and unresponsive when you are with many people in the meeting.

What will happen for example is that it takes very long that the bar appear where you can unmute your mic and leave the meeting or open the chat on the right.

Would like to hear if i am the only or its my Surface Pro 3 that is getting to old.

Surface Pro 3 is with 8 GB mem and a Core I7 and 512 gb ssd.

And does the Teams product team about this problem?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-26T21:56:23+00:00

    Hi Andre,

    maybe it is not your Surface Pro 3. I also have this problem and I have a Surface Pro 7/i5/256. I have this problem only for video calls (just audio is fine). However, I have it also with less than 10 people. Setting the energy slider to maximum performance helps a little but not much.

    Your post is the only one I have found so far, which matches the issue I am experiencing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-04T19:24:07+00:00

    I see the same issue on a Surface Book 2. Teams gets incredibly slow, as well as the rest of the computer, and it seems tied to video calls, not audio as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-11T19:02:01+00:00

    We have been rolling out Teams within our organization and we have gotten a lot of resistance to moving off of competing conferencing solutions due to the lag and slow speed. We are using i7 16 GB RAM Lenovo X1s and similarly powered Macs. The Macs seem to have a slightly higher rate of complaints, with one individual indicating that having a Teams meeting run uses nearly an entire core of his processor.

    The UI is great, but Microsoft absolutely needs to address performance issues if it wants to compete with the well established and nimbler competitors.

    Microsoft, I plead with you, please help improve performance asap and let me know what I can tell my team in the meantime so that they don't give up on Teams for good!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-09T12:10:06+00:00

    No, its not your Surface Pro 3, its because Teams is an electron based app which isknow to cause high CPU usage and the version used to compile Teams is an outdated version of electronJS (currently is using Chromium v69, while the production version of Electron is v83). They should write an native desktop app instead of trying to fix all specific electron issues

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-10T14:02:34+00:00

    Experiencing this as well.  Screen turns to green.  Audio is fine, but using this on my Surface 4 is unusable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments