MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-10T20:12:58+00:00

    The same thing happens to me on Teams. Even if my computer is not in "idle" or "sleep" mode, my status changes to Away after just a few minutes. It's very frustrating. Does the MS team have any suggestions for how to fix this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-07T18:10:04+00:00

    This has been happening to me as well. It seems there has been a recent update to Teams because now I can set "duration" to my status when I manually set it but it still changes to away no matter what status I manually set it to. When I am active on my computer but not active in Teams, it will always change my status to away after about 5 minutes. What else can be done? I use the desktop client exclusively. I do have it on my phone. Should I remove it from my phone?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T17:49:31+00:00

    I want to add that the same issue is happening to me, although I am on a different environment.

    I'm using the Web version on Ubuntu 18.04, and this behavior was happening even before I installed Teams on my mobile phone.

    Teams is switching my status to Away automatically 3 minutes after I stop interacting with it. Even though I'm still using the computer normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-01T23:20:09+00:00

    This makes a lot of sense since it did not start happening to me until after the first time I used Teams on my phone.  I wonder how they can manage the status if on two devices - if working on either available , neither, away?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments