MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-05T10:07:08+00:00

    This is incredibly annoying as an unfixed bug.

    The Teams application should be able to recognise mouse and keyboard movement by the same mechanism as the screen lock does. If nothing else you should be able to set your status as "Available" via the Duration feature.

    I work on 3 screens, and usually have Teams in the top left corner of the left screen. I regularly get WhatsApp messages from people saying "ping me when you're back at your desk" - when I've never left and never been inactive - but am "Away" according to Teams.

    Easy fix I'm sure. Get it done Microsoft!

    Accurate availability status is vital for collaboration tools.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-23T05:59:10+00:00

    same situation here ...

    Teams on desktop (Windows 10) status is not reliable. Furthermore, since Teams on Windows 10 is so massively laggy and unresponsive, I am using Teams WEB version on MAC. It's about 10x faster than the standalone app, but the Web version can not deal with Away statuses either. It's even worse than on the desktop client. I am switched to "auto-away" after my mouse did not work with the specific browser window/tab Teams Web is running in. No matter if I am just typing in a window next to this....

    This is really an annoying situation. As many already mentioned, co-workers are using this status to determine whether one is working, or not.

    Since this whole thing does not work, I recently just started working in "offline" mode. Now I keep receiving questions on how I can respond while I am offline.... :-).

    Please Microsoft, either fix auto-away or give us an option to set and keep an "Available" status until manually changed.

    This is very much required.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-03T16:37:44+00:00

    I'm using a dock.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-09T00:10:54+00:00

    I have already replied to this once and get updates when someone else replies. I don’t remember if I read this here or somewhere else but thought I’d share my “workaround”. Go to your Calendar in Teams (I use desktop client) and start a meeting with yourself by clicking “Meet Now”. Don’t invite anyone else just start the meeting. Minimize the meeting windows and then change your status to Available. If you have another meeting scheduled it will just put this meeting on hold until your real meeting is over. You will have to manually adjust your status but we’re all messing with Teams about a million times a day anyway to keep it active. I just make this part of my Start-up routine in the mornings now until Microsoft gets their act together and fixes this!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments