MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-08T20:33:17+00:00

    Not sure if you are getting upset with deevirgo? They have offered up a work around that actually does work so you DON'T have to reset status every 5 minutes. You have mis-read there suggested solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-08T20:28:53+00:00

    This is literally the only viable solution and it does work as part of my daily start up as well. Thanks for sharing this work around while Microsoft ignores all of us :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-08T15:16:11+00:00

    This is not an acceptable answer! You're saying if you're writing an email or working in whatever software you do your job with you have to stop doing your job every 5 minutes to go in and change your availability to show that you're online. Obviously you can go into the app and switch your availability online. Everyone knows that. I also find it amusing that you show how many people found that it was helpful but I bet you won't show how many people didn't find it was helpful I bet you it's thousands of people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-08T15:11:51+00:00

    This has been going on for almost a year. There are nearly 40 replies and they all have the same problem. A lot of the replies have likes. This is most likely happening for every team users. Doesn't seem like that hard of a fix. This issue is being ignored. People work in Outlook, people have other software where they work in. A lot of people aren't just working in teams. Why would you have to keep on going back to an application every 5 minutes to click on it to switch the availability. Availability status has been figured out since AOL... Usually away means you're away from your computer. It could easily be fixed by not Auto turning to away after 5 minutes and have it be done manually. It could also be done based off of if you're logged on to your computer or phone if you have it on your phone and your phone isn't on do not Disturbed. The ideal solution would be if you're logged onto your computer you are available. If you have the teams app on your phone and your phone isn't on do not disturb you will be shown as available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments