MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-05T17:28:24+00:00

    I have already replied to this once and get updates when someone else replies. I don’t remember if I read this here or somewhere else but thought I’d share my “workaround”. Go to your Calendar in Teams (I use desktop client) and start a meeting with yourself by clicking “Meet Now”. Don’t invite anyone else just start the meeting. Minimize the meeting windows and then change your status to Available. If you have another meeting scheduled it will just put this meeting on hold until your real meeting is over. You will have to manually adjust your status but we’re all messing with Teams about a million times a day anyway to keep it active. I just make this part of my Start-up routine in the mornings now until Microsoft gets their act together and fixes this!!!

    Thanks for the work-around. It works for me. I must start the meeting in Teams and let it run as you described. A mere calendar meeting but not started would not doing anything. Once again, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-05T16:47:33+00:00

    This is happening to me too but I am unable to change my status to available.

    This is a different issue from the thread. But I want to share my experience in fixing it. The symptom is you are shown away. You go to manually select a different status in Teams but it stays as Away. I had that for a long while but intermittently. I start looking art my calendar in Outlook and realized when ever this happened, someone had sent a out-of-office notice. It also places a calendar event in my Outlook showing the person is away. Once in a while, Teams picks up the person's status and reflects it as mine. To test this, whenever this happens, I change my status manually to make sure it stays as Away. Then I change the status to other statuses in calendar event added to my Outlook because some sent out the OOO notice. Teams reflect that same statuses. To workaround this, I either change the calendar event status to Free or just delete the event. Then Teams shows my real status.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-05T08:31:36+00:00

    This is happening to me too but I am unable to change my status to available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-09T10:02:51+00:00

    This works (great! thanks!) . . . but it is also a terrible reflection on Microsoft that we're having to use this method (basically staying in a fake meeting all day) to make basic functionality work the way it should.

    Reminds me of my first car . . . . with a passenger window held closed using scotch tape . . . . . . 😆

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments