MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-01T23:20:09+00:00

    This makes a lot of sense since it did not start happening to me until after the first time I used Teams on my phone.  I wonder how they can manage the status if on two devices - if working on either available , neither, away?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-05T17:28:24+00:00

    I have already replied to this once and get updates when someone else replies. I don’t remember if I read this here or somewhere else but thought I’d share my “workaround”. Go to your Calendar in Teams (I use desktop client) and start a meeting with yourself by clicking “Meet Now”. Don’t invite anyone else just start the meeting. Minimize the meeting windows and then change your status to Available. If you have another meeting scheduled it will just put this meeting on hold until your real meeting is over. You will have to manually adjust your status but we’re all messing with Teams about a million times a day anyway to keep it active. I just make this part of my Start-up routine in the mornings now until Microsoft gets their act together and fixes this!!!

    Thanks for the work-around. It works for me. I must start the meeting in Teams and let it run as you described. A mere calendar meeting but not started would not doing anything. Once again, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T20:45:50+00:00

    I've been experiencing this for a few months now and it really is frustrating to have to click inside Teams every 5 minutes so that my co-workers know I am online.

    Is there no workaround for this? Or, is there a timetable for when this will be resolved?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-15T11:04:46+00:00

    2-3 Weeks ago, it started to happen on my computer as well after I installed the 64bit Teams version. Beforehand I had the 32bit version installed on my computer. But of course, this can be a coincidence......

    It just happend again, during a Teams Meeting !!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments