Multiple windows for MS Teams?

Anonymous
2019-10-10T14:11:14+00:00

Why doesn't MS Teams support multiple windows?  It stands to reason that if you are on multiple chats, editing a file, and trying to join a meeting, you don't want to leave each ongoing action behind to go to the next, and shuffle around try to find where you left off in each section later.  Even separate windows for chat would be a huge help, or allowing a meeting to launch a new window outside of Teams and leave whatever you were working on in the original window.  Most people use multiple windows and multiple monitors to multi-task, and I'm surprised that the only way Teams seems to allow this is to run some of your windows out of a browser?  Is there help coming to make this a more productive tool?  This feels like a downgrade from Skye for Business...

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-26T16:57:33+00:00

    Indeed, it is cumbersome for example to open a file into the Teams environment, and then you just go to answer something in the chat, and sometimes the doc is gone, or when going back the screen is blank and you have to wait until de doc kind of loads again.

    Docs should at least open in a separate "tab" or something similar.

    Same with calls, no way to go back to another chat or see the files on any channel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-02T22:16:38+00:00

    What is the status of this enhancement request? When I click on the link provided I receive the 404 Error message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-13T15:19:36+00:00

    Unfortunately the linked User Voice case refers to the ability to pop out a chat window. This isn't the functionality I came looking for and it seems it's not for other users, either. A simple ability to open multiple windows of Teams is exactly what I'm looking for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-13T20:24:34+00:00

    Agreed, @cringyamv. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand what we're asking for, although I don't know how to ask it any more plainly. All we want is the ability to open multiple windows from anywhere in the program, not just a chat within a live conference. Right click, open in new window.... basic Microsoft functionality in every other program! Why can't we get that with Teams?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-26T00:51:53+00:00

    Agreed! Unable to have multiple windows of the app bites.

    Workaround... Open MS Teams in browser (https://teams.microsoft.com) and duplicate the tab. Can move the tab onto a separate monitor. If have the app open too, will have three instances of MS Teams (i.e. one of the app; two in the browser).

    Limitation... When opening more than two tabs, even if move the tab to a separate monitor, you do get an annoying notice that says, 'are you still there?', but you can click on 'I'm back' and it keeps you where you were originally.

    Cheers!

    Unfortunately when you click "I'm back" if you were in a doc, you lose your place and have to find it again.  I lose productivity when working on a doc that is 29 pages long.  Trying to find where I was is time consuming.

    For what it's worth, I use several browser tabs when working in Teams.  I don't use the app on my laptop or mobile as it consumes so much memory and CPU that my laptop is essentially unusable and my phone becomes a hot brick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments