How to export an entire Teams chat history with an individual from a Office 365 work account

Anonymous
2022-08-11T21:40:08+00:00

Hello, I'm hoping to get some information on how to go about exporting Teams chat history from my work Office 365 / Microsoft account.

From what I have found online, it seems that this functionality is available through a web interface, and not available in any form in the desktop app. I am in need of this functionality because the search functionality of Teams leaves much to be desired: if I'm searching for messages to/from a user regarding a particular keyword of interest, Teams may return a single message from over a year ago containing that keyword, but there is no ability to view surrounding context messages nor is there an ability to jump directly to that message in our conversation. I just can't keep justifying scrolling back through months or years of individual conversations to find pertinent messages so I can do my job effectively, so I'm planning on exporting my chat conversations with certain individuals so that I can properly search through them for prior messages.

I've found the following support guide which details steps to follow for exporting Teams data in this manner: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/export-or-delete-your-teams-data-1ed6ac68-5fb4-41be-9861-1a4127fecf68

The following is the section relevant to downloading Microsoft Teams chat conversations:

Export and Delete Your Messages and Media from Chats and Communities

To export your messages and media from chat and community:

  1. Sign in to the Export page with your Microsoft Account.
  2. Select the option to download your Chat history, Media, or both, and then select Submit request. Select Continue when prompted.
  3. You will need to check back periodically to the export page on the status of your export, which you can see at the top of the page under Available Exports. A link to download your files will also appear there when they are available to download.
  4. Select the Download button to download your files.

However, I seem to be running into an issue in regards to the type of account I'm using. I am unable to login with my work account at the provided "export page" link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2128346

When I attempt to login I receive a message indicating "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one."

I am able to login with my work account in-browser at the following address: https://www.office.com/

And from there I can access the Teams web app (whose address is: https://teams.microsoft.com/)

I did attempt to access my account settings from the Teams web app (via Settings > Accounts > Manage) https://myaccount.microsoft.com/https://myaccount.microsoft.com/settingsandprivacy/privacy However, there are no Teams chat export options visible under the privacy settings.

The only data I am able to export is "Microsoft Search History" which includes:

  • Outlook — Your Outlook search history includes your searches in Outlook, Outlook for mobile, and Outlook on the web.
  • SharePoint and Office.com — Your searches in SharePoint Online and Office.com are combined into one history.

Is there any way I can access this export functionality through my work account? Is this something that has to be enabled at a higher admin level by my work's IT department? Or is this something I would need to reach out to them to export for me?

Until Teams' chat functionality allows for jumping directly to a found message in a chat's complete history (with all surrounding messages prior and after being visible) this is the only solution I can think of to effectively search through years of continuous conversations for pertinent information.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T14:35:13+00:00

    Hi MitchellJur,

    Contact "Admin@fintechglobal.center" for assistance, we have application to export ms teams free (classic) chat history to csv files.

    The application is available on both cloud based and on premises.

    It will work for individual user as well as admin (to export all users history).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-18T17:34:29+00:00

    I wonder how many companies that bought into the MS dog and pony show for Teams realized they would be handicapping all their employees from being able to save off extremely vital work related information when they switch to Teams from Skype or other apps which always allowed users to save off their chat transcript or at least shift-select the entire chat and paste it elsewhere. This has frustrated me to no end. So much valuable info is lost when companies institute a short retention period, combined with no easy ability to export the information to save as part of our notes and knowledge base (and cutting & pasting one small screenful at a time doesn't cut it).

    Each year, I search to see if they have finally "fixed" this huge deficiency, only to be disappointed once again. To me, it is a failure as a product without the ability to do a simply chat session copy. (I have similar issues with OneNote note being able to cut & paste from/to itself, which appears to be a known issue, but that's a different story.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-19T16:42:43+00:00

    I love how the MS Teams developers have time to code stupid changes like displaying emojis on the bottom of a comment vs. the top or changing the emojis to the current, cartoonish style but they don't have time to provide a way to easily save chat history.

    Also the use of screen "real estate" is wasteful. Users should be able to adjust the display according to what makes sense for the output device they are using.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T17:58:14+00:00

    In a business setting, you as an end user cannot export your Teams history. Only an administrator that can perform eDiscovery can do that kind of export.

    How would an administrator with the appropriate rights perform such an export?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T18:00:33+00:00

    Hi Mitchell,

    My name is Didi. I'm happy to help you today.

    At this time there is no direct way to export the chat history in 'Teams for work/school' as an end user compared with 'Teams personal'.

    It will require admin access or by using Teams Export APIs.

    However, I did find a way to view the entire chat history. You may take a look at the screenshot for the succeeding steps after first typing the name of the person in the search box.

    The chat history will populate when you click on 'Conversation with'.

    Let me know if you've tried this already.

    Best regards,
    Image

    Seriously, Screenshots?? **** please

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments