How to export an entire Teams chat history with an individual from a Office 365 work account

Anonymous
2022-08-11T21:40:08+00:00

Hello, I'm hoping to get some information on how to go about exporting Teams chat history from my work Office 365 / Microsoft account.

From what I have found online, it seems that this functionality is available through a web interface, and not available in any form in the desktop app. I am in need of this functionality because the search functionality of Teams leaves much to be desired: if I'm searching for messages to/from a user regarding a particular keyword of interest, Teams may return a single message from over a year ago containing that keyword, but there is no ability to view surrounding context messages nor is there an ability to jump directly to that message in our conversation. I just can't keep justifying scrolling back through months or years of individual conversations to find pertinent messages so I can do my job effectively, so I'm planning on exporting my chat conversations with certain individuals so that I can properly search through them for prior messages.

I've found the following support guide which details steps to follow for exporting Teams data in this manner: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/export-or-delete-your-teams-data-1ed6ac68-5fb4-41be-9861-1a4127fecf68

The following is the section relevant to downloading Microsoft Teams chat conversations:

Export and Delete Your Messages and Media from Chats and Communities

To export your messages and media from chat and community:

  1. Sign in to the Export page with your Microsoft Account.
  2. Select the option to download your Chat history, Media, or both, and then select Submit request. Select Continue when prompted.
  3. You will need to check back periodically to the export page on the status of your export, which you can see at the top of the page under Available Exports. A link to download your files will also appear there when they are available to download.
  4. Select the Download button to download your files.

However, I seem to be running into an issue in regards to the type of account I'm using. I am unable to login with my work account at the provided "export page" link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2128346

When I attempt to login I receive a message indicating "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one."

I am able to login with my work account in-browser at the following address: https://www.office.com/

And from there I can access the Teams web app (whose address is: https://teams.microsoft.com/)

I did attempt to access my account settings from the Teams web app (via Settings > Accounts > Manage) https://myaccount.microsoft.com/https://myaccount.microsoft.com/settingsandprivacy/privacy However, there are no Teams chat export options visible under the privacy settings.

The only data I am able to export is "Microsoft Search History" which includes:

  • Outlook — Your Outlook search history includes your searches in Outlook, Outlook for mobile, and Outlook on the web.
  • SharePoint and Office.com — Your searches in SharePoint Online and Office.com are combined into one history.

Is there any way I can access this export functionality through my work account? Is this something that has to be enabled at a higher admin level by my work's IT department? Or is this something I would need to reach out to them to export for me?

Until Teams' chat functionality allows for jumping directly to a found message in a chat's complete history (with all surrounding messages prior and after being visible) this is the only solution I can think of to effectively search through years of continuous conversations for pertinent information.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T20:30:06+00:00

    I tried this, but it omits the name of the person to posted the comment in the chat.- If you're trying to determine who is participating (or potentially reporting problems), you need this data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T20:27:41+00:00

    This is not a resolution, especially when you're trying to export the contents of a group chat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-19T11:37:39+00:00

    How can I use your program to export chat history?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-07T00:01:39+00:00

    This is an HR nightmare. Baffled this is not possible from the end user prospective. It seems like it could violate a number of policies specifically in CA. It’s nearly enough to ban the use of chat in a work setting and use a more modern piece of software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-06T20:39:42+00:00

    It's a bit of a workaround, but it works well. I open Teams in a web browser (Chrome in my case) and then I have a chrome plug-in called FireShot that allows you to select "Capture entire page".

    if you do that when you are in the relevant chat it does a FULL capture including scrolling down and capturing everything off the bottom of the screen, then it allows you to save it either as an image or a PDF file to your PC. I save it as a PDF. The PDF is technically an "image" just saved as a PDF so I then run it through OCR to make it searchable. It only takes about 1 minute to capture an entire chat this way.

    Do you need the paid version to get the entire chat history? The free plug-in is just exporting one page, but that could be user error on my part.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments