How to export an entire Teams chat history with an individual from a Office 365 work account

Anonymous
2022-08-11T21:40:08+00:00

Hello, I'm hoping to get some information on how to go about exporting Teams chat history from my work Office 365 / Microsoft account.

From what I have found online, it seems that this functionality is available through a web interface, and not available in any form in the desktop app. I am in need of this functionality because the search functionality of Teams leaves much to be desired: if I'm searching for messages to/from a user regarding a particular keyword of interest, Teams may return a single message from over a year ago containing that keyword, but there is no ability to view surrounding context messages nor is there an ability to jump directly to that message in our conversation. I just can't keep justifying scrolling back through months or years of individual conversations to find pertinent messages so I can do my job effectively, so I'm planning on exporting my chat conversations with certain individuals so that I can properly search through them for prior messages.

I've found the following support guide which details steps to follow for exporting Teams data in this manner: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/export-or-delete-your-teams-data-1ed6ac68-5fb4-41be-9861-1a4127fecf68

The following is the section relevant to downloading Microsoft Teams chat conversations:

Export and Delete Your Messages and Media from Chats and Communities

To export your messages and media from chat and community:

  1. Sign in to the Export page with your Microsoft Account.
  2. Select the option to download your Chat history, Media, or both, and then select Submit request. Select Continue when prompted.
  3. You will need to check back periodically to the export page on the status of your export, which you can see at the top of the page under Available Exports. A link to download your files will also appear there when they are available to download.
  4. Select the Download button to download your files.

However, I seem to be running into an issue in regards to the type of account I'm using. I am unable to login with my work account at the provided "export page" link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2128346

When I attempt to login I receive a message indicating "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one."

I am able to login with my work account in-browser at the following address: https://www.office.com/

And from there I can access the Teams web app (whose address is: https://teams.microsoft.com/)

I did attempt to access my account settings from the Teams web app (via Settings > Accounts > Manage) https://myaccount.microsoft.com/https://myaccount.microsoft.com/settingsandprivacy/privacy However, there are no Teams chat export options visible under the privacy settings.

The only data I am able to export is "Microsoft Search History" which includes:

  • Outlook — Your Outlook search history includes your searches in Outlook, Outlook for mobile, and Outlook on the web.
  • SharePoint and Office.com — Your searches in SharePoint Online and Office.com are combined into one history.

Is there any way I can access this export functionality through my work account? Is this something that has to be enabled at a higher admin level by my work's IT department? Or is this something I would need to reach out to them to export for me?

Until Teams' chat functionality allows for jumping directly to a found message in a chat's complete history (with all surrounding messages prior and after being visible) this is the only solution I can think of to effectively search through years of continuous conversations for pertinent information.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-01T03:39:55+00:00

    I owe you more than you can imagine for this, all the blessings may find you again and again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-13T12:16:33+00:00

    Do not expect Microsoft to come up with a solution.

    The only way to "export" chats is, to use screenshots.

    But keep in mind, that Microsoft already announced that they will also close that "security hole".

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?id=490561

    So I suggest to switch to a software / platform, that really cares about its customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-13T11:39:09+00:00

    Hi A. User,

    could you assist also within business TEAMs ?

    we are searching for a method to export the TEAMs chats and are blocked always with the statement "not possible - protection of data privacy" :-(

    what does each user need to have ? admin rights ?

    what other setup is required ?

    Would be really helpful to get feedback

    thanks

    MaWi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-18T16:59:38+00:00

    my employer purges chat history EVERY 2 WEEKS! MS TEAMS Not having the functionality to save locally like SKYPE or SLACK is HORRIBLE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-12T13:00:57+00:00

    Of course it is a disappointment. It is a **** product. (ok, MicroSoft does not want me to call things by its names and censored my reply )

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments