Export chat from a Teams meeting

Anonymous
2020-07-02T19:42:24+00:00

Please can  you tell me how to export a chat that went on during a 4 hour teams meeting? It is too long to copy and paste screen by screen and I need to be able to copy it into a word document. Control A doesn't work and neither does holding the mouse down and trying to copy it all.

Thanks.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-10T19:27:41+00:00

    Hi Abigail,
    I had the same issue.
    I clicked the Pop out chat button and the chat dialogue box opened, and Ctrl + A didn't work.Image

    But I played around a bit and found a workaround.

    In the chat dialogue box, click the pencil icon, to the right of the names of the people in the chat.
    Image

    The Group name dialogue box is displayed.
    Click the Cancel button.
    Press **Ctrl + A (**it now works!). All of the text in the chat string is selected!!!

    Wow, K.A.1234, that is very helpful, thanks! It worked for a short 4-person chat.

    Now, IF ONLY that could apply to the chat within a teams meeting! I have no pop-out option for meeting chats. Crying, pulling out hair.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-10T12:37:16+00:00

    Ha, ha, ha. I totally agree.
    But, from past experience, I didn't really expect it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-10T06:03:56+00:00

    still amazing that nobody of Microsoft is reacting to this article. Introducing chat as a new feature without proper tooling feels like buying a car without a speedometer. Hello Microsoft, where are you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-08T14:26:36+00:00

    Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me.

    I still only get the chat back a few days.

    I suppose if I'm only looking to capture a recent chat then it would be more helpful.

    My problem is when I want to go back a long time through a chat with someone who has shared images and instructions, and I want to put that into something like a Word document for safe-keeping and long-term reference. I would like to copy/paste many days worth of discussion, and then clear out the content I don't need, and save the document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-02T18:53:55+00:00

    Hi Abigail,
    I had the same issue.
    I clicked the Pop out chat button and the chat dialogue box opened, and Ctrl + A didn't work.

    But I played around a bit and found a workaround.

    In the chat dialogue box, click the pencil icon, to the right of the names of the people in the chat.

    The Group name dialogue box is displayed.
    Click the Cancel button.
    Press **Ctrl + A (**it now works!). All of the text in the chat string is selected!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments